Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

surface integration of a derived temperature distribution

Yang-Bo Xu Nanjing University

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have just started learning COMSOL and have a problem now.

I derived the surface temperature distribution of a sphere using COMSOL. After that, I calculated the net radiation force of the sphere, i.e. the surface integrations of , where is the temperature and is the unit normal vector. However, the result of surface integrations given by COMSOL seems to be incorrect.

Then I did another test with a uniform surface temperature distribution. The result of surface integrations should be zero in theory due to the symmetry, but it is in fact not. I am confused now. Is there something wrong about the surface integration function in COMSOL?

I would appreciate it if someone offers some help.

2 Replies Last Post Jun 12, 2020, 6:48 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Jun 11, 2020, 9:45 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Jun 12, 2020, 9:19 a.m. EDT

Hello xy b,

There integrations are performed numerically on a mesh, so while in theory the integral of the normal vector on a sphere is zero when you compute it on a mesh (which does not exactly match the sphere's surface and is not necessarily symmetric) the computed value will generally not be zero. It will tend to zero as you refine the mesh.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello xy b, There integrations are performed numerically on a mesh, so while in theory the integral of the normal vector on a sphere is zero when you compute it on a mesh (which does not exactly match the sphere's surface and is not necessarily symmetric) the computed value will generally not be zero. It will tend to zero as you refine the mesh. Best regards, Jeff

Yang-Bo Xu Nanjing University

Posted: 4 years ago Jun 12, 2020, 6:48 a.m. EDT

Hello Jeff,

Glad to receive your reply. Thank you so much for your explanation.

Best regards,

Yang-Bo Xu

Hello Jeff, Glad to receive your reply. Thank you so much for your explanation. Best regards, Yang-Bo Xu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.