Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI simulation: flow against a membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I have simulation to run, where there is a perfusion of a fluid (say water) on an impermeable structure (say bladder patch) that cover all the diameter of a pipe, constrained to the pipe itself. In my simulation (attached) I apply a step function in order to gently increase the initial value of water speed, and I place the outlet beyond the bladder patch (since the deformed bladder is supposed to move the fluid after it) . The mesh is a fine free triangular (seems to me enough accurate), and I apply a time-dependent study in order to see how the bladder patch gets deformed (I expect a cupola shape). I don't want a stationary study since I guess the steady state in this situation is reached when the bladder patch gets broken.

It seems to me that all boundary condition are good, but still when I compute the study it says "Attempt to evaluate real square root of negative number". I guess that the fact that the water can not flow freely in the pipe because the bladder patch blocks it makes the solver crazy, but I can not find where the mistake is...

any hint?

Thanks for your kindness and for your attention
Best regards
Alberto

1 Reply Last Post Nov 29, 2014, 11:20 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alberto Urban

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 29, 2014, 11:20 p.m. EST
Hi,

I wonder if replacing inlet velocity condition to pressure condition would be ok. When I changed inlet boundary, boundary number 2, to ‘pressure, no viscous stress’ with ‘100*step1(t)’, I can get a cupola shape.

Regards,
Hi, I wonder if replacing inlet velocity condition to pressure condition would be ok. When I changed inlet boundary, boundary number 2, to ‘pressure, no viscous stress’ with ‘100*step1(t)’, I can get a cupola shape. Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.