Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to Convert a 2D model Into 3d model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to know that how i can convert a 2D model into 3D model for simulation.
--
Vineet Bansal
Project Associate, NPMASS
Electronic Science Department
Kurukshetra University, Haryana

5 Replies Last Post Jun 4, 2015, 5:19 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2012, 10:03 a.m. EDT
Hi

the only way I know is that one can do is to:
1) export your 2D and
2) import it into a new 3D model file in a 3D workplane, and then extrude or revolve from there

the rest of the mesh, materials and physics must be set up new in 3D (I often open 2 sessions and copy past the fomulas from one to the other, as these seldom change between 2D and 3D)

It is also possible to add a 2nd model in the current file, OK if the files are "small", but I prefere separate files

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the only way I know is that one can do is to: 1) export your 2D and 2) import it into a new 3D model file in a 3D workplane, and then extrude or revolve from there the rest of the mesh, materials and physics must be set up new in 3D (I often open 2 sessions and copy past the fomulas from one to the other, as these seldom change between 2D and 3D) It is also possible to add a 2nd model in the current file, OK if the files are "small", but I prefere separate files -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 8, 2013, 6:06 p.m. EST

Hi

the only way I know is that one can do is to:
1) export your 2D and
2) import it into a new 3D model file in a 3D workplane, and then extrude or revolve from there

the rest of the mesh, materials and physics must be set up new in 3D (I often open 2 sessions and copy past the fomulas from one to the other, as these seldom change between 2D and 3D)

It is also possible to add a 2nd model in the current file, OK if the files are "small", but I prefere separate files

--
Good luck
Ivar

Dear Ivar,

I am using 4.2 version but I am not able to do what you said. I exported 2D Geometry (right click on geometry then selecting export to file) and I tried to import that to a 3D file by right click on geometry then selecting import. However I see this error: "Cannot import a 2D geometry into a 3D sequence."
I would be so thankful if you could let me know what the problem is.

Regards,
Zahra
[QUOTE] Hi the only way I know is that one can do is to: 1) export your 2D and 2) import it into a new 3D model file in a 3D workplane, and then extrude or revolve from there the rest of the mesh, materials and physics must be set up new in 3D (I often open 2 sessions and copy past the fomulas from one to the other, as these seldom change between 2D and 3D) It is also possible to add a 2nd model in the current file, OK if the files are "small", but I prefere separate files -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Dear Ivar, I am using 4.2 version but I am not able to do what you said. I exported 2D Geometry (right click on geometry then selecting export to file) and I tried to import that to a 3D file by right click on geometry then selecting import. However I see this error: "Cannot import a 2D geometry into a 3D sequence." I would be so thankful if you could let me know what the problem is. Regards, Zahra

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 9, 2013, 4:23 a.m. EST
Hi

the separation 2D 3D is quite strict in COMSOL geometries, but in 3D you can open a local workplane in 2D, import your 2D in there and then extrude or rotate to 3D, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the separation 2D 3D is quite strict in COMSOL geometries, but in 3D you can open a local workplane in 2D, import your 2D in there and then extrude or rotate to 3D, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2013, 11:16 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Yes, Now it works. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Zahra
Hi, Yes, Now it works. Thank you very much. Regards, Zahra

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 4, 2015, 5:19 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I'm using 4.4 I have a 2D version of an electromagnet coil (which is rectangular), now want to make it 3D i opened a new 3D file, created a work plane. When I revolve, I get a solid cylinder instead of the coil. What am I doing wrong?

Dj
Hi, I'm using 4.4 I have a 2D version of an electromagnet coil (which is rectangular), now want to make it 3D i opened a new 3D file, created a work plane. When I revolve, I get a solid cylinder instead of the coil. What am I doing wrong? Dj

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.