Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pressure drop calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to calculate a pressure drop using laminar flow in comsol.

I started with a simple model (see attachment). I also calculated the pressuredrop using the hagen-poiseuille equation but I get different answers.

Hagen poiseuille: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen%E2%80%93Poiseuille_equation

I have tried this with and without an entrance length and compressible and incompressible. For all these calculations Comsol gives a larger pressuredrop than the analytical equation.

What goes wrong? Is it the model or the analytical equation?

2 Replies Last Post Mar 27, 2012, 6:08 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 27, 2012, 5:28 a.m. EDT
I can't open your file, it requires the CAD module.
It's easier if you just apply a pressure difference on inlet and outlet.
Can you try that?

How are you defining the velocity of the fluid at the inlet?
I can't open your file, it requires the CAD module. It's easier if you just apply a pressure difference on inlet and outlet. Can you try that? How are you defining the velocity of the fluid at the inlet?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 27, 2012, 6:08 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Your pressure drop is virtually nothing, less than 1Pa, so the differences you see can be deemed to be tantamount to oscillations around the zero.
You may want to try a 2D-axisymmetric model with a much finer mesh.

Cheers

I'm trying to calculate a pressure drop using laminar flow in comsol.

I started with a simple model (see attachment). I also calculated the pressuredrop using the hagen-poiseuille equation but I get different answers.

Hagen poiseuille: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen%E2%80%93Poiseuille_equation

I have tried this with and without an entrance length and compressible and incompressible. For all these calculations Comsol gives a larger pressuredrop than the analytical equation.

What goes wrong? Is it the model or the analytical equation?

Hi, Your pressure drop is virtually nothing, less than 1Pa, so the differences you see can be deemed to be tantamount to oscillations around the zero. You may want to try a 2D-axisymmetric model with a much finer mesh. Cheers [QUOTE] I'm trying to calculate a pressure drop using laminar flow in comsol. I started with a simple model (see attachment). I also calculated the pressuredrop using the hagen-poiseuille equation but I get different answers. Hagen poiseuille: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen%E2%80%93Poiseuille_equation I have tried this with and without an entrance length and compressible and incompressible. For all these calculations Comsol gives a larger pressuredrop than the analytical equation. What goes wrong? Is it the model or the analytical equation? [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.