Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PML and acoustics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to simulate a chimney, open at the end and would like to determine the eigen modes of this kind of volume. Could I use an ending surface with an Impedance (Pressure acoustic, Frequency domain) and an absorbtion coefficient alpha = 1 or is it more accurate to use PML ?

All the best,

Olivier

1 Reply Last Post Dec 17, 2020, 11:15 a.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Dec 17, 2020, 11:15 a.m. EST

Physically pressure waves will extend into the domain outside of the chimney. So you need a domain somewhat larger than the opening to approximate emission into an infinite space. You could try spherical, half-spherical, or a block.

A PML is probably best but termination in an impedance should be fairly similar. I'm not sure I understand what you need an absorption coeffient for.

Physically pressure waves will extend into the domain outside of the chimney. So you need a domain somewhat larger than the opening to approximate emission into an infinite space. You could try spherical, half-spherical, or a block. A PML is probably best but termination in an impedance should be fairly similar. I'm not sure I understand what you need an absorption coeffient for.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.