Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetostrictive effect on oscillating spring

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! Im doing a project where im trying to investigate the magnetic effects on the oscillation of a balance spring. A balance spring is a small hair spring that sits inside mechanical watches. They usually oscillate with a frequency around 4hz and any fluxuation in that oscillation will disrupt the timekeping capabilities of the watch.

The model that im making is in 3D Currently i've applied a moment such that the spring oscillates. By just doing a stationary study its evident that the magnetic (B-field) that i've applied has an effect on the stresses and strains of the spring. What i now want to investigate is how much it disrupts the frequency of the watch.

I've tried doing an eigenfrequency study but the as soon as i activate both the magnetic field and the structural mechanics in the solver it wont solve. If i deactivate the magnetic field i will get a solution as can be seen in the GIF.

My question is: Is there any other way that i can investigate the effect on the oscillation by the magnetic field? Can i somehow plot the spring stiffness as a function of magnetic field?

Thanks in advance, Best regards, /Gustav

0 Replies Last Post Dec 16, 2020, 6:19 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gustav Thessén

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.