Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rigid connectors VS Fixed constraint

Likitha Thimmaraju Girijadevi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Im simiulating a test set up for random vibration analysis, I fix my test object onto the fixture using M5 screws and use bolts to lock my fixture onto the test bed.

Would rigid connectors be a best option between the fixture and test bed or fixed constraint be suitable?

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post Jan 3, 2021, 7:33 p.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Dec 22, 2020, 11:10 a.m. EST

Hi, Likitha,

I know that you already have the answer, but for other readers:

Typically, you apply the excitation as a volume load, with the attachments to the fixture being fixed. The only reason to use a more complex modelling approach with rigid connectors is that you want to evaluate the reaction forces acting on the fixture bolts.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, Likitha, I know that you already have the answer, but for other readers: Typically, you apply the excitation as a volume load, with the attachments to the fixture being fixed. The only reason to use a more complex modelling approach with rigid connectors is that you want to evaluate the reaction forces acting on the fixture bolts.

Likitha Thimmaraju Girijadevi

Posted: 4 years ago Jan 3, 2021, 7:33 p.m. EST

Thank you so much Hendrik :)

Thank you so much Hendrik :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.