Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FGM Material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol. Is it possible to include FGM properties in COMSOL

8 Replies Last Post Apr 2, 2014, 6:45 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2012, 1:49 p.m. EDT
Yes it is possible. Functionally Graded Materials have a material composition that changes gradually with volume. You can do that in COMSOL by specifying the material properties, such as Young’s modulus, to be a function of the spatial coordinates.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Yes it is possible. Functionally Graded Materials have a material composition that changes gradually with volume. You can do that in COMSOL by specifying the material properties, such as Young’s modulus, to be a function of the spatial coordinates. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 17, 2012, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Dear All,
I want to know how to model FGM in COMSOL 4.2.
Please help me in this case because I am new in COMSOL.
Regards.
Dear All, I want to know how to model FGM in COMSOL 4.2. Please help me in this case because I am new in COMSOL. Regards.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2014, 7:06 a.m. EST

Dear All,
I want to know how to model FGM in COMSOL 4.2.
Please help me in this case because I am new in COMSOL.
Regards.

Hi, i want to know how modelling young modulus as a function in one dimension for example ,,z" based on FGM material?
[QUOTE] Dear All, I want to know how to model FGM in COMSOL 4.2. Please help me in this case because I am new in COMSOL. Regards. [/QUOTE] Hi, i want to know how modelling young modulus as a function in one dimension for example ,,z" based on FGM material?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2014, 8:41 a.m. EST
In the material definition instead of specifying Young’s modulus as a constant make it a function of Z, for example 100+10*Z
In the material definition instead of specifying Young’s modulus as a constant make it a function of Z, for example 100+10*Z

Vibhuti Bhushan Pandey

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2014, 12:26 a.m. EST
I am new to comsol. I want to solve a problem of functionally graded piezoelectric material (FGPM) with sigmoid law. I want the variation of properties should be continuous within a geometry, i do not want variation in layers means problem is converted into several layers. Each layer has a constant properties but they are different from another layer and the difference is maintained by variation of properties by sigmoid law, than layers glue together and then solve, I do not want this which was happened in other FE softwares. Does comsol solve the problem in which properties vary continuously in a geometry, i do not want a stepwise variation?
I am new to comsol. I want to solve a problem of functionally graded piezoelectric material (FGPM) with sigmoid law. I want the variation of properties should be continuous within a geometry, i do not want variation in layers means problem is converted into several layers. Each layer has a constant properties but they are different from another layer and the difference is maintained by variation of properties by sigmoid law, than layers glue together and then solve, I do not want this which was happened in other FE softwares. Does comsol solve the problem in which properties vary continuously in a geometry, i do not want a stepwise variation?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2014, 9:03 a.m. EDT
Hi. thank you for answer, but how am i defining variable Z which are my thickness of beam in boundary Z belong to [-0.5;0.5]?

--
K. Żur
Hi. thank you for answer, but how am i defining variable Z which are my thickness of beam in boundary Z belong to [-0.5;0.5]? -- K. Żur

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2014, 9:05 a.m. EDT
And when i have 3D problem and young moduli is variable in one dimension?

--
K. Żur
And when i have 3D problem and young moduli is variable in one dimension? -- K. Żur

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 2, 2014, 6:45 a.m. EDT

Please help me defining variable z (thickness of beam belong (-0.5, 0.5)) and z is variable material properties along the thickness E(z)= (z+0.5)^n
--
K. Żur
Please help me defining variable z (thickness of beam belong (-0.5, 0.5)) and z is variable material properties along the thickness E(z)= (z+0.5)^n -- K. Żur

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.