Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic Fields Lower Than Expected

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have been simulating the magnetic field for a Hall Effect thruster but I am getting much lower mangnetic field strengths in the channel than I am expecting. Is there a reason for this? Also if I run an axisymmetric design which is similar in FEMM then I get a magentic field strength which is ten times greater than COMSOL is giving me. Why would this be, I belive I have set the simulations up with the same properties and everything.

Thank you Hazel

2 Replies Last Post Feb 12, 2021, 9:54 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Feb 8, 2021, 11:00 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Feb 8, 2021, 11:04 a.m. EST

There are too many possibilities. Since you seem to have these two separate computational tools available, I suggest you model (with both codes) something otherewise similar, but where you already know the answer beforehand to good accuracy (e.g., to better than a factor of 2). Then you can at least decide which (if either) code is correct. When answers differ by a factor of ten, it is often (not always) easy to identify one that is simply wrong. If/when you decide that the Comsol model is the one with the wrong answer, then I encourage you to post your model to the forum, so it can be examined by others here in detail.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There are too many possibilities. Since you seem to have these two separate computational tools available, I suggest you model (with both codes) something otherewise similar, but where you already *know* the answer beforehand to good accuracy (e.g., to better than a factor of 2). Then you can at least decide which (if either) code is correct. When answers differ by a factor of ten, it is *often* (not always) easy to identify one that is simply wrong. If/when you decide that the Comsol model is the one with the wrong answer, then I encourage you to post your model to the forum, so it can be examined by others here in detail.

Posted: 3 years ago Feb 12, 2021, 9:54 a.m. EST

I belive that it is the COMSOL model which is giving me the incorrect values, and so have attched an inital simulation with five coils as an example.

I belive that it is the COMSOL model which is giving me the incorrect values, and so have attched an inital simulation with five coils as an example.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.