Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling particle trajectories, but not as point masses, but with volume displacement

KF Mechanical Engineering | Microfluidics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've gotten myself in quite the rabbit hole here. For context, my model is a 2D cross-flow microfiltration system, where I defined a my membrane matrix my creating an array of slots, some acting as walls, some acting as channels for fluid and particles to pass through (of an allowable diameter).

I've been wanting to model particle trajectories of 2 species and see how to interact with my membrane geometry. Initially, I thought "okay, for a pore (channel inlet) of 6 (um), a particle of 8(um) should not be able to pass and a particle of 4(um) should easily be able to pass". Well this is not the case, since the Particle tracing module treats particles as point masses, where volume displacement is not considered. This inherently eliminates the model logic of preventing large particles from passing, and allowing smaller particles to pass through.

At this point I recognize that an alternative module to consider would be the Porous Media and Subsurface Module. Darcy's Law, Two-Phase Darcy's Law, and Free and Porous Media Flow all seem like potential alternatives since they allow me to specify a particle diameter ... but how can I couple the derived transport solution in the context of particle tracing, once I have resolved a solution that actually considers particle volume displacement?

In other words, how can I ultimately use the Particle Tracing Module to visualize the particle-membrane interactions, once I have completed a study that actually accounts for volume displacement?

-------------------
KF

0 Replies Last Post Mar 26, 2021, 11:29 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello KF

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.