Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting a 3D line through a deformed structure.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello fellow COMSOL'ers.

I have what I think is a simple question, but so far it's driven me nuts!

I have a 3D structure (thin disc) which I stretch and then apply a surface load to it. Originally the disc is 2mm diameter, but after I stretch it, it becomes 4mm diameter.

Once my simulation runs, I then create a "Cut Line 3D" which is a line passing through the diameter of the disc. Which is Image 1 below. As you can see the line passes from -1 to +1, but is created long enough to take into account the new stretched size of the disc.

However when I plot a Line plot of the displacement of the membrane using "Cut Line 3D" the Arc length is only 2mm, as seen in Image 2.

Which is wrong as the disc has been stretched. Which is image 3.

Does anyone know whats going on here? I am almost pulling my heir out!!

Thanks for reading everyone,

Rob

6 Replies Last Post May 31, 2012, 3:57 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 2:38 p.m. EDT
Hi

have you tried to plot it with the expression for the x-axis as "x" (and then later X) ? (or Y if appropriate)
this will most probably give you different results, I assume the arc length is referrred to the material frame (before deformations)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to plot it with the expression for the x-axis as "x" (and then later X) ? (or Y if appropriate) this will most probably give you different results, I assume the arc length is referrred to the material frame (before deformations) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 7:04 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

As ever, thanks for the reply.

I have tried both x and X as an expression.

I think that you are correct that the expression line is made with reference to the structure before deformation.

I do not however see the deformation at all in the plot. The disc, taken from the arc length appears to be the same size as before deformation.

This is however wrong, as the deformation of the disc comes AFTER the tensioning of the membrane.

So I am a little puzzled. I guess the question is...

How can I probe values in a structure once the structure has been deformed? I think this would apply to all structural mechanics problems where there is deformation.

Thanks for your help :-)

Rob
Hi Ivar, As ever, thanks for the reply. I have tried both x and X as an expression. I think that you are correct that the expression line is made with reference to the structure before deformation. I do not however see the deformation at all in the plot. The disc, taken from the arc length appears to be the same size as before deformation. This is however wrong, as the deformation of the disc comes AFTER the tensioning of the membrane. So I am a little puzzled. I guess the question is... How can I probe values in a structure once the structure has been deformed? I think this would apply to all structural mechanics problems where there is deformation. Thanks for your help :-) Rob

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 7:52 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe the arc is defined w.r.t. the material frame, while in structural x and X are related to the Spatial, respectively Material frame, but I do now believe x=X+u only when you apply the "include geometric non-linearities" (this has changes a few times over 4.0 to 4.2 but I beleive it's stable now ;)

You need to apply a deformation sub node to your plots, this is not automatic (except for a few default plots initiated by the solver the first time it runs)

you have the deformations vector _u_ = (u,v,w) use that in stead of the disp=sqrt(u^2+v^2+w^2)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe the arc is defined w.r.t. the material frame, while in structural x and X are related to the Spatial, respectively Material frame, but I do now believe x=X+u only when you apply the "include geometric non-linearities" (this has changes a few times over 4.0 to 4.2 but I beleive it's stable now ;) You need to apply a deformation sub node to your plots, this is not automatic (except for a few default plots initiated by the solver the first time it runs) you have the deformations vector _u_ = (u,v,w) use that in stead of the disp=sqrt(u^2+v^2+w^2) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 10:35 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

You have managed to solve my problem yet again!

By plotting u, the deformation is taken into account. The arc line method, can be a little misleading as it does not state that it is w.r.t. the material frame.

But I guess if it was easy we would not enjoy it :-)

If there is a Comsol Award, you should be first in line.

Thanks so much.
Hi Ivar, You have managed to solve my problem yet again! By plotting u, the deformation is taken into account. The arc line method, can be a little misleading as it does not state that it is w.r.t. the material frame. But I guess if it was easy we would not enjoy it :-) If there is a Comsol Award, you should be first in line. Thanks so much.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 12:41 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I may have spoken too soon.

Could you perhaps see what I have done wrong here.

Again, I have the membrane and I stretch it by a percentage of its original radius. I have 2 different stretch factors.

- 0.05% and 100% [for illustration purposes more than anything]

For both of these, the membrane is stretched past its original shape. As shown in Image 1. So I know that the model is being stretched, but am having difficulties extracting stress values.

Then, when I wish to plot the Mises stress through the middle of the membrane, shown in Image 1. And I plot them, I get the problem shown in Image 2 (the x-axis shows that the deformation is not 5% and 100%).

The diameter of the membrane is 2mm, so I would expect the x-axis "Displacement field" to be -2mm +2mm for 100% stretch and -1.05mm +1.05mm for the 5% stretch.

In figure 2, I have plotted 'u' in the x axis, as the expression. Plotting x or X, is shown in Figure 3. Figure 3 is the most confusing for me as it shows the stress within the membrane but to me it looks like its suggesting that both membranes are the same size (which from figure 1 is obvious that they are not).

This is quite confusing. Any suggestions?

Rob
Hi Ivar, I may have spoken too soon. Could you perhaps see what I have done wrong here. Again, I have the membrane and I stretch it by a percentage of its original radius. I have 2 different stretch factors. - 0.05% and 100% [for illustration purposes more than anything] For both of these, the membrane is stretched past its original shape. As shown in Image 1. So I know that the model is being stretched, but am having difficulties extracting stress values. Then, when I wish to plot the Mises stress through the middle of the membrane, shown in Image 1. And I plot them, I get the problem shown in Image 2 (the x-axis shows that the deformation is not 5% and 100%). The diameter of the membrane is 2mm, so I would expect the x-axis "Displacement field" to be -2mm +2mm for 100% stretch and -1.05mm +1.05mm for the 5% stretch. In figure 2, I have plotted 'u' in the x axis, as the expression. Plotting x or X, is shown in Figure 3. Figure 3 is the most confusing for me as it shows the stress within the membrane but to me it looks like its suggesting that both membranes are the same size (which from figure 1 is obvious that they are not). This is quite confusing. Any suggestions? Rob

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 3:57 p.m. EDT
Hi

No no suggestions, but I tried a simple test for me the logic seems coherent but for such large deformation I use the "geometrical non linearity" solver setting (nece my x=X+u)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi No no suggestions, but I tried a simple test for me the logic seems coherent but for such large deformation I use the "geometrical non linearity" solver setting (nece my x=X+u) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.