Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Compound plots with Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to create compound plots with multiple figure windows in one screen. As far as I understand, say I create a nice plot with multiple veloctiy vectors, surface's etc shown. If I create another plot with say pressure and velocity (or any other thing), my plot window will show this composite plot. How do I show these two composite plots in the same plot window at the same time?

Any help is greatly appreciated !

6 Replies Last Post Jun 23, 2021, 10:12 a.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 22, 2021, 3:56 a.m. EDT

Hi,

You can add a Deformation subnode to the second plot and use an "artificial displacement" in the x-direction, for example, to show both plots side by side in the same plot window. Set the scaling to 1 in the settings for the Deformation subnode so that the displacement values represent the actual displacements.

Best regards,

Magnus Ringh

Hi, You can add a **Deformation** subnode to the second plot and use an "artificial displacement" in the *x*-direction, for example, to show both plots side by side in the same plot window. Set the scaling to 1 in the settings for the **Deformation** subnode so that the displacement values represent the actual displacements. Best regards, Magnus Ringh

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 22, 2021, 2:45 p.m. EDT

Hi Magnus, I've used the deformation subnode for showing delfections before. But, I think my question is a little different or I am not clearly understanding what you said. Essentially what I am trying to get is shown in a screenshot from one of COMSOL's blogs (https://uk.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-customize-the-comsol-desktop-and-use-keyboard-shortcuts/), but for a regular 2D plot as well as an animation. I created an example case where I tried doing as suggested in the blog for an animation, but not sure how to do that. For still plots, is dragging windows (as in the blog) the best side-by-side comparison we can do?

Thanks !

Hi Magnus, I've used the deformation subnode for showing delfections before. But, I think my question is a little different or I am not clearly understanding what you said. Essentially what I am trying to get is shown in a screenshot from one of COMSOL's blogs (https://uk.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-customize-the-comsol-desktop-and-use-keyboard-shortcuts/), but for a regular 2D plot as well as an animation. I created an example case where I tried doing as suggested in the blog for an animation, but not sure how to do that. For still plots, is dragging windows (as in the blog) the best side-by-side comparison we can do? Thanks !

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 22, 2021, 3:21 p.m. EDT

Hello Advitya,

What Magnus means is illustrated by the file I am attaching here.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Advitya, What Magnus means is illustrated by the file I am attaching here. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 22, 2021, 7:45 p.m. EDT

Hi Jeff This is super helpful. I get the idea, thanks !

Hi Jeff This is super helpful. I get the idea, thanks !

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 23, 2021, 8:45 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Jun 23, 2021, 9:39 a.m. EDT

As you've probably figured out, you can use the same technique to add a third, a fourth subplot, etc, organize them in multiple rows, etc. It's quite flexible.

With that said, it will soon be much easier to create a plot like this, as a more direct (and less hidden!) capability for creating plot arrays is currently under development. I will try to remember to post more details in this thread when the capability is released.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
As you've probably figured out, you can use the same technique to add a third, a fourth subplot, etc, organize them in multiple rows, etc. It's quite flexible. With that said, it will soon be much easier to create a plot like this, as a more direct (and less hidden!) capability for creating plot arrays is currently under development. I will try to remember to post more details in this thread when the capability is released. Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 23, 2021, 10:12 a.m. EDT

Yes, I saw that. Will keep a look out on this thread. Thanks,

Yes, I saw that. Will keep a look out on this thread. Thanks,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.