Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field trajectories and massless particle tracing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am plotting the electric field trajectories using the AC/DC module in Comsol, and use the Massless Particle Tracing plotting method to follow electric field lines (not the particle tracing module) .

I am facing strange behaviour of inconsistency when I compute the EF traced trajectory, where every time I compute the result I get different trajectory for the same conditions! I was buzzled with that. The steps I did are:

- Build the geometry, material, electrostatics and the mesh.
- Choosing an EF-surface to show the electric field in the results menu
- Add massless particle tracing to the EF-surface (in 4.2a is comes under: more plots >> particle tracing)
- Finally look at the trajectory of the particle tracing, and just press compute again and compare the results (no change in parameters), each time I compute I get different trajectory!

I attached an image showing some of the results

Could anyone explain the reason behind that please?

Thanks,
Ehab

1 Reply Last Post Mar 9, 2015, 11:11 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ehab Saleh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Santiago Villavicencio

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 9, 2015, 11:11 a.m. EDT
Hello... i am doing the same now... and i am really struggling to have succes.. but its difficult... at the end u made it? any advice that u can share?
Hello... i am doing the same now... and i am really struggling to have succes.. but its difficult... at the end u made it? any advice that u can share?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.