Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dividing a cylinder block into thin disks [geometry]

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have to divide a solid piece built in the geometry in a number of disks equivalent to a parameter N. The final result should be the construction of a number N of elements with the same diameter but with a thickness corresponding to L/N : (the initial height of the cylinder/number of disk. Every new object need to be composed of two parts: two layers and an internal part. The two parts represent two different materials.

The thickness of the two layers is the result from the equation i put on the attached image file, it is directly evaluated from the parameter N and some quantities which are already present in COMSOL. Which function allows dividing a solid block in several pieces whose number and dimensions depend on a parameter?

4 Replies Last Post Nov 4, 2021, 9:01 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 3, 2021, 1:43 p.m. EDT

Hello Isacco,

Instead of dividing, why not build one disc and then use an array operation to replicate it N times?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Isacco, Instead of dividing, why not build one disc and then use an array operation to replicate it N times? Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 3, 2021, 1:56 p.m. EDT

Becouse the total height of the cylinder is fixed L=7mm, so i need the possibility to divide it N times and solve the model for different amount of sub-elements (disks). The idea is to do a sort of sweep study where the solution is plotted vs the number of disk N, or better the number of interfaces between the disks.

Becouse the total height of the cylinder is fixed L=7mm, so i need the possibility to divide it N times and solve the model for different amount of sub-elements (disks). The idea is to do a sort of sweep study where the solution is plotted vs the number of disk N, or better the number of interfaces between the disks.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 3, 2021, 3:27 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 9:04 a.m. EDT

I don't see why you couldn't do that with the method I mentioned. You may want to provide more details so we can understand what's keeping you from succeeding with the method I mentioned.

A toy model is attached. It may give you a better idea of what I am thinking you could consider.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
I don't see why you couldn't do that with the method I mentioned. You may want to provide more details so we can understand what's keeping you from succeeding with the method I mentioned. A toy model is attached. It may give you a better idea of what I am thinking you could consider. Jeff

Diotima University of Manchester/Material Science

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 9:01 a.m. EDT

I agree with Mr.Hiller, if you just want to calculate the result of all these disks, you can just calculate one of them since they are all equalvalent. If you want to konw how these disks affect each other, you may copy your geometry of one disk. If you just want to see the result in different posisition, use correct way to draw your grid and some method to obsearve your data may be a better solution for your question.

I hope this answer helps you. English is not my native language so I may make some mistake in this answer.

Yuyang Chang

-------------------
I'm the loser student who really want a PHD placement.
I agree with Mr.Hiller, if you just want to calculate the result of all these disks, you can just calculate one of them since they are all equalvalent. If you want to konw how these disks affect each other, you may copy your geometry of one disk. If you just want to see the result in different posisition, use correct way to draw your grid and some method to obsearve your data may be a better solution for your question. I hope this answer helps you. English is not my native language so I may make some mistake in this answer. Yuyang Chang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.