Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving a large laser beam across a surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am a new COMSOL user and would like to simulate the heating of a plate with a slow moving laser beam (v=1mm/s). The beam spot size is very large, approximatley 15mm diameter, and thus can not be modeled as a point source.

I am thinking of modeling it as a boundary heat source. I have a function, f(x,y), that defines the local intensity (W/m^2) of the laser beam. The function resembles a gaussian beam. I was thinking that I would simply substitute (x-v*t) for x in my function, in order to get the function to move in the x direction (v is the velocity of the beam, t is time). My boundary heat source is then f(x-v*t, y).

I have been searching to see if there are other posts that discuss this method for moving a boundary heat source across a part, but I have been unsuccessful.

I have tried it out it everything appears to be OK - the heat source appears to move across the part at the appropriate speed. Is there any reason why this method should not be used?

Thanks,
Blake

3 Replies Last Post Sep 16, 2012, 10:31 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 10, 2012, 3:01 a.m. EDT
You can also try to hold the laser beam fixed and the work piece moving in the opposite direction. This is called the eulerian approach. You can solve the problem in steady state and do not have deal with time variable.
You can also try to hold the laser beam fixed and the work piece moving in the opposite direction. This is called the eulerian approach. You can solve the problem in steady state and do not have deal with time variable.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2012, 6:03 p.m. EDT
hi.i have the same problem(i' am simulating a 5mm diameter laser beam) .if you find a solution let me know
hi.i have the same problem(i' am simulating a 5mm diameter laser beam) .if you find a solution let me know

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 16, 2012, 10:31 p.m. EDT
sir,
i'm doing a project related to surface alloying using TIG heat source. How can model a moving work piece by fixing the heat source. Is there any help available for this type of problems.
with thanks ,
Robin scariah
sir, i'm doing a project related to surface alloying using TIG heat source. How can model a moving work piece by fixing the heat source. Is there any help available for this type of problems. with thanks , Robin scariah

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.