Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate inductance of solenoid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!

I am currently simulating a built-in control rod position indicator (see the attached pdf file). For this simulation, I have tried to use the magnetic field module to calculate the inductance of solenoid. By using Homoginized multiturn conductor in coil to define number of turns for the coil, I can calculate the inductance of solenoid (result can be found in Result -> Derived value -> Global Evaluation -> mf.LCoil_1: coil inductance) for each position of control rod.

Now I want to divide the coil into successive small coils to adjust the number of turns of each small coil as desired. For example, the coil will be divided into 4 successive small coils. I added 4 small coils instead of 1 big coil and used the Coil group functionality (that can be activated by selecting the corresponding check box) in 4 small coils. When I do this, I dont know how to calculate the inductance for all coils (4 coils). I can not find mf.LCoil_1, mf.LCoil_2, mf.LCoil_3, mf.LCoil_4: coil inductance in Result -> Derived value -> Global Evaluation

Any advice is much appreciated.

Best Regards, David

0 Replies Last Post Jul 21, 2022, 10:32 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Tran

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.