Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing_Error

Lele, Dipl.-Phys. & Msc.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,
First of all I would to great everyone who help this forum working and your incredible support. Well, I am working on heat exchanger simulation here in Comsol and since I got error concerning meshing:

Domain: Failed to generate mesh for domain

Boundary: Specified element size is too large to resolve the geometry
Face is much smaller than the specified minimum element size

Please in attached is the file I am working on, can anyone help me understanding or solve those occuring problems?
Any help is welcoming-

--
A. Fopah Lele

1 Reply Last Post Sep 20, 2012, 4:06 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 20, 2012, 4:06 a.m. EDT
Hi

often you get CAD geometries with many details, hence the mesher need to make very small elements to resolve them all, particularly in CFD where you need anyhow fine mesh this can run-off and give you problems with RAM available during th esolving, not to say time to solve ;)

Normally you get the error message and indication where it is wrong, zoom in on that region (either with the Zoom button, or with the entity name and via the selection view list and check what is wrong.

Often you need to mesh manually some local features, such as edges, boundaries or even full domains. Do not forget that COMOSL want a "boundary mesh" on all no-slip wall regions, thi can also fail in regions with many details.

If nothing else works, try to modify (simplify or defeature) your CAD model

Unfortunately I'm not by my workstation so I cannot open your model to have a closer look at your specific issue here, hope still that my remarks might help

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi often you get CAD geometries with many details, hence the mesher need to make very small elements to resolve them all, particularly in CFD where you need anyhow fine mesh this can run-off and give you problems with RAM available during th esolving, not to say time to solve ;) Normally you get the error message and indication where it is wrong, zoom in on that region (either with the Zoom button, or with the entity name and via the selection view list and check what is wrong. Often you need to mesh manually some local features, such as edges, boundaries or even full domains. Do not forget that COMOSL want a "boundary mesh" on all no-slip wall regions, thi can also fail in regions with many details. If nothing else works, try to modify (simplify or defeature) your CAD model Unfortunately I'm not by my workstation so I cannot open your model to have a closer look at your specific issue here, hope still that my remarks might help -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.