Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there any model about performing transient analysis using Joule heating and thermal expansion physics in COMSOL4.2?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I tried transient solver on the Joule heating and thermal expansion physics in COMSOL4.2. My geometry is just a simple beam with injecting current at one port and ground at the other. There is always a error "Failed to evaluate the variable mod1.tem.DZ". But the problem is gone when I used just joule heating physics or thermal stress physics. Is there anything I need to notice when transient solver is used on the Joule heating and thermal expansion physics? Is there any model available? Thanks.

James

2 Replies Last Post Sep 26, 2012, 7:07 a.m. EDT
Andrea Ferrario COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 26, 2012, 4:42 a.m. EDT
Hello James,

The problem you described has been solved in version 4.2a update 2. Please contact your local Comsol distributor to obtain a copy of the latest version (4.3). If you are using a university license, you may want to speak to your professor instead.

--
Andrea Ferrario
Electromagnetics Group
COMSOL AB
Hello James, The problem you described has been solved in version 4.2a update 2. Please contact your local Comsol distributor to obtain a copy of the latest version (4.3). If you are using a university license, you may want to speak to your professor instead. -- Andrea Ferrario Electromagnetics Group COMSOL AB

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 26, 2012, 7:07 a.m. EDT

Hello James,

The problem you described has been solved in version 4.2a update 2. Please contact your local Comsol distributor to obtain a copy of the latest version (4.3). If you are using a university license, you may want to speak to your professor instead.

--
Andrea Ferrario
Electromagnetics Group
COMSOL AB

OK. Thanks a lot.

James
[QUOTE] Hello James, The problem you described has been solved in version 4.2a update 2. Please contact your local Comsol distributor to obtain a copy of the latest version (4.3). If you are using a university license, you may want to speak to your professor instead. -- Andrea Ferrario Electromagnetics Group COMSOL AB [/QUOTE] OK. Thanks a lot. James

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.