Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-Dependent Temperature Piecewise Function Providing Unusual Result

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL community,

I am attempting to model a time-dependent temperature boundary condition in COMSOL. For half the day, the temperature at this boundary is at a constant 280K, while for the other half of the day, the temperature is at a constant 22.5K.

To test the validity of the piecewise function, I first created a piecewise function from t = 1h to t =12h in which the temperature was set at 280K, and then inputted this piecewise function as the boundary temperature. In other words, the piecewise function puts out a constant temperature value of 280K for hours 1 through 12. I then ran the simulation for 12 hours. To compare results, I then inputted "280K" as my boundary temperature value in place of the piecewise function.

However, I obtained two different results, which shouldn't occur. Can anyone shed some light on what is occurring? Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post Feb 6, 2023, 12:15 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ethan Anderson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.