Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Position of a point in an eigenfrency study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I try to follow the position of a point for each frequency of an eigenfrequency analysis. Is there a way to extract the (X, Y, Z) position or the displacement field for a point on my structure.

I was able to obtain the maximum Displacement of that point, but I am not able to extract what is happening between the max and the min.

Thank you all, Etienne

2 Replies Last Post Feb 18, 2023, 6:24 p.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago Feb 17, 2023, 3:19 p.m. EST

Hello Etienne,

In an eigenfrequency analysis, the magnitude of the eigenmodes is meaningless. Oscillation of the eigenmodes is, of course, sinusoidal.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Etienne, In an eigenfrequency analysis, the magnitude of the eigenmodes is meaningless. Oscillation of the eigenmodes is, of course, sinusoidal. Best regards, Jeff

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Feb 18, 2023, 6:24 p.m. EST

Viesing the magniduet of the displacement is not very helpful because one cannot distinguish between positive and negative values.

The most useful plot is a distorted shape plot, which provides a snapshot of the displacements at one time. A animation using dynamic data extension can also be useful for visualization.

Since the displacements are phasors, the displacement as a function of time is real(phasor*e^jwt).

Viesing the magniduet of the displacement is not very helpful because one cannot distinguish between positive and negative values. The most useful plot is a distorted shape plot, which provides a snapshot of the displacements at one time. A animation using dynamic data extension can also be useful for visualization. Since the displacements are phasors, the displacement as a function of time is real(phasor*e^jwt).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.