Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle Tracing (the stored trajectories have the wrong dimension)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a model in comsol 4.3 with a 3D and a 2D geometry.
The model calculate fluid velocities in the 2D geometry.
I added the 'Particle Tracing for fluid flow' physics to the 2D geometry but after the solution is computed I get a error message:
the stored trajectories have the wrong dimension
-Dimension: 3
-Plot: traj1 (Particle trajectories).

To be able to visualize the trajectories, I have to create a 3D Plot Group
The trajectories are plotted in 3D with the z-direction being time.

I would like to visualize the trajectories in my 2D geometry. (It works if I remove the 3D geometry but I need it to get a correct simulation of the fluid velocity).
Does anybody know how I could do that?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Oct 28, 2014, 1:29 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sophie Loire

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 28, 2014, 1:16 p.m. EDT
Hi Sophie,

I have the same problem in particle trajectory in 2D/3D model. Have you solve this problem?
Thanks.
Hi Sophie, I have the same problem in particle trajectory in 2D/3D model. Have you solve this problem? Thanks.

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 28, 2014, 1:29 p.m. EDT
I haven't worked on this in a long time but what I did then was to export the results and plot with matlab...
I haven't worked on this in a long time but what I did then was to export the results and plot with matlab...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.