Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezo energy harvester

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm new to this Forum, greetings to all.

I am studying on piezoelectric energy harvester, trying to simulate the power output of such an device with COMSOL. I know that there are other discussions about this topic but my forum search does not find any good answers. At least I did not understand everything.

So for the start I wanted to verify a COMSOL Conference paper from 2009 that can be found here:

ftp.ing.unibs.it/~ferrari/Sensori_B/Guizzetti_Comsol2009.pdf

Since this is a open circuit analysis it is not exactly what I have in mind but a good beginning.
I set up the pzd physics and created the geometry. The results for the displacement vs. layer thickness graph are more or less the same. But I do not get the same output for the charge and voltage values (as shown in Fig. 4 in the paper).

I have played with the settings for the PZD Terminal. The first guess was to set it to terminated with P_0=0 W. I set the reference impedance to physics controlled. As there is no power transfered form or to this terminal it should be open circuit, right?
Then I tried to set it to Charge Q_0=0 and Voltage V_0=0 mode. With V_0=0 I can create the (negative) charge plot from the paper and with Q_0=0 I get the same Voltage curve shape - but some degrees lower than in the paper.

Attached paper1 with P_0=0 and paper1.2 with Q_0=0 and V_0=0 results. Hope you don't mind.

Does someone know what I did wrong?
It seems that I do not fully understand the function of the Terminal mode settings. Can someone please enlighten me?

Btw. how can I plot data with different axis scale (left and right axis) like shown in Fig. 4 in the paper?

So many questions...

I appreciate any help.

5 Replies Last Post Feb 21, 2015, 4:48 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Aurich

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 4:22 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I'm also interested in the questions you asked.

For the problem of plotting figures with different scale, I think at least you can export the data firstly and then plot the figure in EXCEL or Origin...

Good luck.
Hi, I'm also interested in the questions you asked. For the problem of plotting figures with different scale, I think at least you can export the data firstly and then plot the figure in EXCEL or Origin... Good luck.

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 20, 2015, 10:08 p.m. EST
i am trying to calculate charge for another structure can you suggest me how i can get the table for charge by using different thickness. While i am simulating charge is not generating can you plz give the reason why charge is not generated
i am trying to calculate charge for another structure can you suggest me how i can get the table for charge by using different thickness. While i am simulating charge is not generating can you plz give the reason why charge is not generated

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 21, 2015, 1:23 a.m. EST
Please explain more or upload your model or a screen shot of it.
Please explain more or upload your model or a screen shot of it.

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 21, 2015, 1:51 a.m. EST
i want to calculate charge of the file uploaded paper1.2.mph while i am simulating i am getting charge zero can u help me how i can do it
the file was there at first dicussion of this page

i want to calculate charge of the file uploaded paper1.2.mph while i am simulating i am getting charge zero can u help me how i can do it the file was there at first dicussion of this page

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 21, 2015, 4:48 a.m. EST
in that moving mesh application is there but there is no moving mesh in the file uploaded so that might be the reason for the wrong resultts
in that moving mesh application is there but there is no moving mesh in the file uploaded so that might be the reason for the wrong resultts

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.