Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fuel tank simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a project about fuel tank simulation. The thing that I try is similar to the sloshing tank example. However, since the fuel tanks are closed [ :) ] I need to limit the deforming mesh. Has anyone got any idea how to simulate a fuel tank?

So far I have put another rectangle on the existing rectangle and defined air for the properties. But program did not allow me to use the boundary between two rectangles. Thus, I could not define any thing for that boundary and the simulation crashed.

I need to put an upper boundary for the system to stop floating :)

2 Replies Last Post Jan 23, 2013, 9:24 a.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 12, 2012, 8:21 a.m. EST
There may be some modeling tricks that can help you limit the mesh motion. You can instead setup up the problem as a multiphase flow analysis.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
There may be some modeling tricks that can help you limit the mesh motion. You can instead setup up the problem as a multiphase flow analysis. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 23, 2013, 9:24 a.m. EST
Hi again,

Regarding your suggestion, I have succesfully built a model by using the boiling water example. The fluid inside the domain behaves very well, however there exists a problem.

The thing is that the fluid volume decreases through the time. After a while, the whole tank becomes empty. I have learned that it is a result of non-conservative form.

However, selecting conservative form is not a solution for me :) Its solution time is very high that I could see the end of the simulations. And also the simulations never converge.

any idea?
Hi again, Regarding your suggestion, I have succesfully built a model by using the boiling water example. The fluid inside the domain behaves very well, however there exists a problem. The thing is that the fluid volume decreases through the time. After a while, the whole tank becomes empty. I have learned that it is a result of non-conservative form. However, selecting conservative form is not a solution for me :) Its solution time is very high that I could see the end of the simulations. And also the simulations never converge. any idea?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.