Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Attributes for each region, integration over region

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings,
I am new to Comsol and tried to see if a similar discussion has been carried out before without luck.
I have a magnetostatic model with several regions (windings). I need to connect variables to each region such as conductor dimensions and integrate the B-field e.g. in a formula like:
(B-z)^2 * (conductor height)
Each region has a different conductor dimension so the integration must be carried out for each region.
I must be able to connect a variable or an attribute to each region.
This is a common problem to find AC losses. I am sure there is a way to do this but I cannot find out how.
Please help how to achieve this.
Best regards
Kamil

2 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2012, 6:04 a.m. EST
Erik Bornhöft COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 15, 2012, 5:16 a.m. EST
Dear Kamil,

you can use an integration operator for your purposes. You can define one in Model>Definitions>Model Couplings. By default it is named "intop1". Select in which geometric entities you want to integrate. In any expression (i.e. variables, boundary conditions, global evaluations,...) you can use "intop1(argument)" to get the value of the integration of <argument>. Please refer also to "About Model Couplings and Coupling Operators" in the documentation.

Variables of your coordinates are always available, like x,y,z. You can also define your own coordinate systems under "defintions". To get i.e. the length of an edge, you can define an integration operator on that edge and evaluate "intop1(1)" to get the length or use the "measure"-tool from the COMSOL tool bar.

--
Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Erik

Senior Technical Sales Engineer
COMSOL Multiphysics GmbH
Berliner Str. 4
37073 Göttingen
Deutschland

Knowledge Base:
www.comsol.de/support/knowledgebase/browse/900/

COMSOL Blog:
www.comsol.de/blogs/
Dear Kamil, you can use an integration operator for your purposes. You can define one in Model>Definitions>Model Couplings. By default it is named "intop1". Select in which geometric entities you want to integrate. In any expression (i.e. variables, boundary conditions, global evaluations,...) you can use "intop1(argument)" to get the value of the integration of . Please refer also to "About Model Couplings and Coupling Operators" in the documentation. Variables of your coordinates are always available, like x,y,z. You can also define your own coordinate systems under "defintions". To get i.e. the length of an edge, you can define an integration operator on that edge and evaluate "intop1(1)" to get the length or use the "measure"-tool from the COMSOL tool bar. -- Hope that helps! Best regards, Erik ********************* Senior Technical Sales Engineer COMSOL Multiphysics GmbH Berliner Str. 4 37073 Göttingen Deutschland Knowledge Base: http://www.comsol.de/support/knowledgebase/browse/900/ COMSOL Blog: http://www.comsol.de/blogs/

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 15, 2012, 6:04 a.m. EST
Thank you Erik,
I am starting to understand the logic of Comsol. Very interesting.
Best
Kamil
Thank you Erik, I am starting to understand the logic of Comsol. Very interesting. Best Kamil

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.