Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Units not considered

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I define a constant NA with units cm^-3 and a function f(x) = NA*exp(-(x/k)^2), where 'x' and 'k' are in meters making the units of f(x) essentially cm^-3.
However, in the variables list, where I define the function, the unit is not evaluated. What should I do?

2 Replies Last Post Nov 18, 2012, 2:14 p.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2012, 6:15 p.m. EST
I believe when you use built-in functions like exp() in variable definition they expect non-dimensional arguments and return non-dimensional values. You can add dimensions later as exp(a)[cm].
I believe when you use built-in functions like exp() in variable definition they expect non-dimensional arguments and return non-dimensional values. You can add dimensions later as exp(a)[cm].

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2012, 2:14 p.m. EST
Hey,
thanks for pointing this out.
Hey, thanks for pointing this out.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.