Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Metal film with subwavelength size hole: Transmmittance and reflectance study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm novice in comsol RF simulation. I'm trying to simulate transmittace and reflectance throught metal film with subwavelength size hole. My structure will consists of Air/metal/semiconductor interface. I'm not sure but I think transmittance is governed by surface plasmon polariton. I tried to find some Model on this topic but could not. I'm looking for models that fits best with mine as well as any suggestion how I should go. I'm trying to understand what is the phenomena that governs the transmittance. Thank you

6 Replies Last Post Feb 12, 2013, 8:20 p.m. EST
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 24, 2012, 8:29 a.m. EST
Reflection and transmission through air/metal/dielectric layers is classical surface plasmon phenomena in Kretschmann-Raether configuration and is governed by evanescent wave propagation at the metal/dielectric interface:
www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/ch08.pdf

Also, search Comsol’ Papers and Presentations website:
www.comsol.com/search/?s=surface+plasmon

Regards,
Sergei
Reflection and transmission through air/metal/dielectric layers is classical surface plasmon phenomena in Kretschmann-Raether configuration and is governed by evanescent wave propagation at the metal/dielectric interface: http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/ch08.pdf Also, search Comsol’ Papers and Presentations website: http://www.comsol.com/search/?s=surface+plasmon Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2013, 4:51 p.m. EST
Thank you for your response.... I have one more question regarding this simulation. I'm trying to find the electric field enhancement in metal film with sub wavelength size holes. I was wondering , will it be correct if i make metal film with sub wavelength size hole and apply electric filed with scattering boundary condition. I have confusion on what type of boundary condition should I use.
Thank you for your response.... I have one more question regarding this simulation. I'm trying to find the electric field enhancement in metal film with sub wavelength size holes. I was wondering , will it be correct if i make metal film with sub wavelength size hole and apply electric filed with scattering boundary condition. I have confusion on what type of boundary condition should I use.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2013, 6:08 p.m. EST
if will be correct only for an array of periodic holes
if will be correct only for an array of periodic holes

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2013, 12:03 p.m. EST
Thank you for your response.

While going through some simulation in RF I found that people are using E field value as 1 . I didn't understand whey they are using 1 is it normalized value or something else??
Thank you for your response. While going through some simulation in RF I found that people are using E field value as 1 . I didn't understand whey they are using 1 is it normalized value or something else??

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2013, 12:57 p.m. EST
Amplitude of the port field can be specified arbitrary. Comsol calculates internally the actual field amplitude based on the port input power – see Power Flow Normalization section in the RF User Guide.

Regards,
Sergei
Amplitude of the port field can be specified arbitrary. Comsol calculates internally the actual field amplitude based on the port input power – see Power Flow Normalization section in the RF User Guide. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2013, 8:20 p.m. EST
Hi,

I was trying to see electric field enhancement in gold nano foil (30nm) with subwavelength size holes (25nm). I had a structure as shown in figure I applied scattering boundary condition and electric filed of E=1 in y axis, I got electric field enhanced up to 4.3 but this is at the center line dividing the structure in 4 parts as seen in figure. I dont know why electric field enhancement is like that and I'm not sure the value I'm getting (4.3) is enhancement in applied electric field by 4.3 times or not.
Hi, I was trying to see electric field enhancement in gold nano foil (30nm) with subwavelength size holes (25nm). I had a structure as shown in figure I applied scattering boundary condition and electric filed of E=1 in y axis, I got electric field enhanced up to 4.3 but this is at the center line dividing the structure in 4 parts as seen in figure. I dont know why electric field enhancement is like that and I'm not sure the value I'm getting (4.3) is enhancement in applied electric field by 4.3 times or not.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.