Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Microwave oven waveguide configuration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I am trying to simulate a microwave oven using COMSOL, but I'm still a bit confused about configuring the waveguide. What is the difference between Transverse Electric (TE) and Transverse Magnetic (TM) mode? I know that when using Transverse Electric, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, and the opposite happens when using the Transverse Magnetic mode. But what is practically happening inside the oven when using TE or TM mode? I mean how does TE or TM mode affecting the heated product?
Thank you so much in advance

2 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2013, 3:51 p.m. EST
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2013, 4:12 p.m. EST
Harvey,

TE and TM modes will result in different standing waves pattern in the oven, hence hot spots in the heated product will be in the different locations.

Most microwaves operated in a frequency range that ensure only the lowest TE10 mode can propagate. TM modes have higher cut-off frequency as compared to the dominant TE10 mode. Multiple mode propagation may cause dispersion, distortion and erratic operation. (There is Murphy’s law for waveguides: “If a mode can propagate, it will”)

Regards,
Sergei
Harvey, TE and TM modes will result in different standing waves pattern in the oven, hence hot spots in the heated product will be in the different locations. Most microwaves operated in a frequency range that ensure only the lowest TE10 mode can propagate. TM modes have higher cut-off frequency as compared to the dominant TE10 mode. Multiple mode propagation may cause dispersion, distortion and erratic operation. (There is Murphy’s law for waveguides: “If a mode can propagate, it will”) Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2013, 3:51 p.m. EST
Oh I see! I understand now. Thank you sir!
Oh I see! I understand now. Thank you sir!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.