Can't seem to get a basic MEMS to work

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Pretty new to COMSOL, just trying to get a basic simulation of pressure waves of a MEMS piezoelectric device. Not sure why I'm getting this error as I think I've included all the parameters I need: Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Undefined material property 'cE' required by Piezoelectric Material 1. Attached is the file. Any help would be appreciated

1 Reply Last Post Jul 8, 2024, 2:48 a.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 days ago Jul 8, 2024, 2:48 a.m. EDT

Hi Oliver,

The Piezoelectric Material node under Solid Mechanics needs values for the elasticity and coupling matrices when set to a stress-charge form. Those values are set to be taken from the added materials, but in the Material nodes in the attached model, values for those matrices are not provided. You need to add them there or directly in the Piezoelectric Material node, if you change the setting from From material to User defined.

I suggest that you study one of the example models of piezoelectric devices that are available in the Application Library folders for the MEMS Module and the Structural Mechanics Module, as well as online in the COMSOL Application Gallery: https://www.comsol.com/models.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Oliver, The **Piezoelectric Material** node under **Solid Mechanics** needs values for the elasticity and coupling matrices when set to a stress-charge form. Those values are set to be taken from the added materials, but in the **Material** nodes in the attached model, values for those matrices are not provided. You need to add them there or directly in the **Piezoelectric Material** node, if you change the setting from **From material** to **User defined**. I suggest that you study one of the example models of piezoelectric devices that are available in the Application Library folders for the MEMS Module and the Structural Mechanics Module, as well as online in the COMSOL Application Gallery: . Best regards, Magnus

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.