Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Concentration Constrain on Transport of Dilute Species Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am doing a simple simulation of ion diffusion and drift using the Transport of Dilute Species module and the Electrostatics module. I was wondering, is there a way to restrict the concentration or to place a constrain on the concentration so that inside the surface (I'm doing a 2D simulation) over which the ions are diffusing and drifting the concentration does not exceed a certain value (that I would input)? I want to do this basically because as the ions drift to one side of the surface and reach the side, the concentration increases extremely fast and there seems to be no way to restrict how much the concentration can be in a given place.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

1 Reply Last Post Jan 17, 2013, 3:34 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2013, 3:34 p.m. EST
Hi

certainly you could add some math function to limit the concentration, but is that physical ?
It would be better to identify and use a constitutional equation describing the physical phenomena that avoids the concentration to go above some value. There must e some non linear diffusion effects ongoing, but I'm no chemist so I'm neither not sure where to start ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi certainly you could add some math function to limit the concentration, but is that physical ? It would be better to identify and use a constitutional equation describing the physical phenomena that avoids the concentration to go above some value. There must e some non linear diffusion effects ongoing, but I'm no chemist so I'm neither not sure where to start ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.