Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diamond Young's Modolus Property confusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol Community,

the Young's modulus property of diamond in the Comsol material library is

105 x 10^9 Pascal

whereas the proper property value in literature is an order of magnitude larger:

1220 x 10^9 Pascal - www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/diamond/diamprop.htm

1220 x 10^9 Pascal - www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0925963593902506

1220 x 10^9 Pascal - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus#cite_note-27

I understand that this number can vary for different crystal orientations, quality, etc. but I found no data justifying the big discrepancy of the Comsol value with other values found.

Any idea why that is?

Cheers,

Erik

5 Replies Last Post Jan 23, 2013, 10:19 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 1:38 a.m. EST
Hi

My conclusion newer trust one source always verify,
perhaps it's a typo, it's worth to send the remark directly to "support",
But in my 4.3a I read about 1.1448E12[Pa] for E at about 300[K]
So it might have been corrected since

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My conclusion newer trust one source always verify, perhaps it's a typo, it's worth to send the remark directly to "support", But in my 4.3a I read about 1.1448E12[Pa] for E at about 300[K] So it might have been corrected since -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 1:54 a.m. EST

Hi

My conclusion newer trust one source always verify,
perhaps it's a typo, it's worth to send the remark directly to "support",
But in my 4.3a I read about 1.1448E12[Pa] for E at about 300[K]
So it might have been corrected since

--
Good luck
Ivar

Okay, good they corrected it in 4.3. Just wanted to make sure .
[QUOTE] Hi My conclusion newer trust one source always verify, perhaps it's a typo, it's worth to send the remark directly to "support", But in my 4.3a I read about 1.1448E12[Pa] for E at about 300[K] So it might have been corrected since -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Okay, good they corrected it in 4.3. Just wanted to make sure .

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 11:25 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar, I actually find the same value Erik reported in V4.3a which is an order of magnitude too low. Where do you find this higher value?
Hi Ivar, I actually find the same value Erik reported in V4.3a which is an order of magnitude too low. Where do you find this higher value?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 11:50 a.m. EST
Hi Nagi

indeed I searched for Diamond, but as I have the full material library I took that one, the "other" one you are referring to is basic materials "C[100]". This is probably NOT diamond but some C crystalline structure (unfortunately no info is given I see)

the "nu" is also quite different

So worth a question to COMSOL support (I leave that to the discoverer ;)

if it's not a typo, COMSOL should update their INFO section to explain what it is, even if it probably is stated somewhere in on of the models, but which one ? (or the material book ?)

Anyhow just a good reminder that one should ALWAYS recheck all data, even when one believes its trustworthy ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Nagi indeed I searched for Diamond, but as I have the full material library I took that one, the "other" one you are referring to is basic materials "C[100]". This is probably NOT diamond but some C crystalline structure (unfortunately no info is given I see) the "nu" is also quite different So worth a question to COMSOL support (I leave that to the discoverer ;) if it's not a typo, COMSOL should update their INFO section to explain what it is, even if it probably is stated somewhere in on of the models, but which one ? (or the material book ?) Anyhow just a good reminder that one should ALWAYS recheck all data, even when one believes its trustworthy ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 23, 2013, 10:19 p.m. EST
Thanks for the note about diamond material, I am using that one now and the E value looks correct (at room temperature). Eventually I'll post the support about C[100]

Cheers,

Erik
Thanks for the note about diamond material, I am using that one now and the E value looks correct (at room temperature). Eventually I'll post the support about C[100] Cheers, Erik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.