Logical connection among metals

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The module used is AC/DC Electric Currents. I have a model in which I want to study how the current is distributed in two buried pipes. The external environment, which represents the ground, is modeled as the outer semicylinder. The two pipes are made of copper and reinforcing steel embedded in concrete (with a parallelepiped shape). A normal current density source has been applied to the flat base of the semicylinder, the other one represents the ground. I would like to connect the two pipes to see the interference between them in terms of current distribution. This connection should only be logical, without any physical element connecting them, as if an isolated conductor connects them without interacting with the surrounding ground. How can I achieve this? In other words, I would like to analyze how the current distribution in one pipe directly interferes with the other through these connections. How can I do this? The boundary conditions already applied are a normal current density of 0.001 A/m² and electrical insulation on the lateral faces of the semicylinder and the last one simulates the ground.

4 Replies Last Post Sep 6, 2024, 1:22 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago Sep 5, 2024, 12:32 p.m. EDT

The question is a bit confusing. But either

1. Create one Electric Potenial node and select all the boundaries, or
  2. Create two Electric Potential nodes, one for each cylinder, and assign the same voltage.
The question is a bit confusing. But either 1. Create one Electric Potenial node and select all the boundaries, or 2. Create two Electric Potential nodes, one for each cylinder, and assign the same voltage.

Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 weeks ago Sep 6, 2024, 3:41 a.m. EDT

Define a Nonlocal Coupling (you'll find these under Component->Definitions) on one boundary.

This creates a operator that you can use anywhere in your model. E.g. for the operator intop1 you'll write something like intop1(V).

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Define a Nonlocal Coupling (you'll find these under Component->Definitions) on one boundary. This creates a operator that you can use anywhere in your model. E.g. for the operator intop1 you'll write something like intop1(V).

Posted: 2 weeks ago Sep 6, 2024, 5:37 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 weeks ago Sep 6, 2024, 10:22 a.m. EDT

My purpose is to create logical connections between these two materials, and I want these connections to be logical, without adding another physical element in the ground, I mean these connection as if they were isolated conductors that do not interfere with the surrounding environment. In the image, I have identified the boundaries that are relevant for the connections between the two materials. I don't want to impose scalar boundaries because I'd like the software to adapt the solution. Therefore, I have created two identity pairs, applying a floating potential condition to each of them. I don't know if it's the best solution, this is the reason why I am kindly requesting forum assistance.

My purpose is to create logical connections between these two materials, and I want these connections to be logical, without adding another physical element in the ground, I mean these connection as if they were isolated conductors that do not interfere with the surrounding environment. In the image, I have identified the boundaries that are relevant for the connections between the two materials. I don't want to impose scalar boundaries because I'd like the software to adapt the solution. Therefore, I have created two identity pairs, applying a floating potential condition to each of them. I don't know if it's the best solution, this is the reason why I am kindly requesting forum assistance.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago Sep 6, 2024, 1:22 p.m. EDT

I am still not sure what you are trying to do although I suspect you are making it more complicated than it has to be.

I suggest you post your model (including the geometry). Be sure to include a domain surrounding the conductors (the soil).

And I suggest you describe the problem in terms of voltage sources, current sources, and meters.

I am still not sure what you are trying to do although I suspect you are making it more complicated than it has to be. I suggest you post your model (including the geometry). Be sure to include a domain surrounding the conductors (the soil). And I suggest you describe the problem in terms of voltage sources, current sources, and meters.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.