Calculation of the total current flowing through a conductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The model concerns a steady-state study in 3D using the AC/DC currents module. The objective is to evaluate the electrical impact of a stray DC current density in the ground. As shown in the image, the model consists of three elements: * The first element is the ground, which I represented as a semi-cylinder along the x-axis, with a radius of 100 m and a length of 200 m. I defined a material, which I named "soil," in terms of ground conductivity = 0.01 S/m and relative permittivity = 5. * The second element is a rectangular parallelepiped with dimensions 20x5x5 m, located at (x=90, y=-2.5, z=-5.1), which was used as an additional element to refine the mesh. It has the same properties as the ground. * A cylinder with a radius of 0.02 m and a length of 10 m, located at (x=94, y=0, z=-2). This cylinder is made of copper. The boundary conditions: 1.Current conservation across all domains. 2.Electrical insulation on the lateral faces of the semi-cylinder, as shown in the image. 3. Initial values in all three domains: V=0. 4.Normal current density on the left face of the semi-cylinder equal to 0.001 A/m². 5. Ground (V=0) on the right face of the semi-cylinder, as shown in the image. I want to calculate the total current I [A] absorbed by the copper cylinder. Additionally, I would like to calculate the current I [A] in various sections of the cylinder, such as at one-fifth, one-fourth, one-third, and halfway along the length of the cylinder. How may I accomplish it? I really appreciate your help and availability

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.