Regarding non-physical reflections in comsol reflectance spectra, in waveoptics module.

Anand Eswara Rao Aryasomayajula

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I am simulating reflectance spectra (lambda range 400 nm to 1100 nm) of a periodic structure of dielectric spheres (triangular lattice of a monolayer) on a silicon substrate in "The COMSOL multiphysics wave optics module." The periodicity of the unit cell is around 400nm. I included diffraction orders and implemented PML. Instead of using silicon as a domain, I used impedance boundary conditions at the bottom with silicon material assigned to the boundary(exit). I am getting unphysical reflections at oblique incidence (not in normal incidence). But if I replace the sphere with the flat dielectric layer, those artifacts will not arise even at oblique incidence. It happened when I placed a sphere in the periodic structure. Moreover, the sharp dips are red-shifting if the angle changes from 45 to 75 deg. Here, the impedance boundary is not the problem; when I simulated with a flat, thin film, I used the impedance boundary instead of the silicon domain. The results of the thin film matched the experimental data (I verified by implementing the silicon boundary; the results are the same in the case of thin film). The problem appears only for the sphere. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.