Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying time derivative as a dirchlet boundary condition

Rahul Kishor Semiconductors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I need to apply the time derivative of a displacement created in a piezomaterial as the velocity for a fluid boundary.....

Could someone please let me know as to how this can be handled in COMSOL....Eagerly waiting for your reply.....

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Rahul Kishor
Nanyang Technological University,Singapor

5 Replies Last Post Aug 11, 2015, 10:35 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2013, 2:54 a.m. EST
Hi

check the internal variables of COMSOL, you have the ut and utt, implicit derivatives of the dependent variables.
But you can also couple via u (displacements) on the boundaries, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the internal variables of COMSOL, you have the ut and utt, implicit derivatives of the dependent variables. But you can also couple via u (displacements) on the boundaries, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 3, 2013, 11:10 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

Could you please let me know as to what "coupling via u displacement" means...Is it similar to what I have done- ie
v= dU/dt , where v is the fluid velocity and U is the displacement of the piezomaterial......

When I set the above condition and compute.It throws the error-"Pointwise constraints for time derivatives are not supported."

Thanks,
Rahul Kishor
Hi Ivar, Could you please let me know as to what "coupling via u displacement" means...Is it similar to what I have done- ie v= dU/dt , where v is the fluid velocity and U is the displacement of the piezomaterial...... When I set the above condition and compute.It throws the error-"Pointwise constraints for time derivatives are not supported." Thanks, Rahul Kishor

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2013, 1:15 a.m. EST
Hi

but on which "entity" are you applying your velocity ? It looks like you do it on a "point", COMSOL has only derivatives on boundaries, as most edges and points/vertex are singularities the the FEM math sens

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but on which "entity" are you applying your velocity ? It looks like you do it on a "point", COMSOL has only derivatives on boundaries, as most edges and points/vertex are singularities the the FEM math sens -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 10, 2013, 11:21 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

I have applied it along the boundary wall (interface between the fluid and the piezoelectric domain)......ie I have set in the "wall" - a moving velocity with the x component as ut and the y component as vt (where u and v are the dependent variables or the displacements in the pzd domain)......

Is there some workaround for it?

Regards,
Rahul Kishor
NTU, Singapore
Hello Ivar, I have applied it along the boundary wall (interface between the fluid and the piezoelectric domain)......ie I have set in the "wall" - a moving velocity with the x component as ut and the y component as vt (where u and v are the dependent variables or the displacements in the pzd domain)...... Is there some workaround for it? Regards, Rahul Kishor NTU, Singapore

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 11, 2015, 10:35 p.m. EDT
Hi Rahul,

Did you get to solve this issue?

Thanks!
Hi Rahul, Did you get to solve this issue? Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.