Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Current not flowing across boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm new to COMSOL and having some trouble getting current to flow across material boundaries in my model using the Joule Heating physics.

I have a semiconductor wire with metal contacts on each end and set a potential on one side and a ground on the other. I created 3 rectangles side by side in one plane geometry and then assigned different materials to each. There is also a form union node at the end of the geometry node.

There is no temperature change from the Joule heating. Everything is in equilibrium with the ambient.

Looking at the current density, I only see variation in the metal contact attached to the potential. There is no current flowing into the semiconductor wire or the grounded metal contact.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Mar 11, 2013, 3:30 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2013, 3:30 p.m. EDT
Hi

are you sure you have coupled the energy transfer such as added a body sorce reading Jol Heating energy dissipation into the HT physics ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you sure you have coupled the energy transfer such as added a body sorce reading Jol Heating energy dissipation into the HT physics ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.