Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Taking Coriolis into account in Solids mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I'm trying to implement a coriolis force thanks to a body load. For a rotation around the axe Z, I'm using the following expressions :
2*omega*solid.rho*vt
-2*omega*solid.rho*ut

My case is on a block. One side is fixed and I'm applying a force on the opposite side on the (Oy) axis.
Eventually, I don't have any response on the (Ox) axis. I got this method from a model (that was a MEMS as far as I can remember) and that seemed to work. Do you know why it doesn't ? Maybe are you taking into account this force with another method ?

Best regards,
JC.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 20, 2013, 5:30 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 5:30 a.m. EDT
Hi

you have an object vibrating and rotating, if I catch you right, now COMSOL uses omega for the frequency domain variable, so a) you should rather use another name, then b) "ut, vt" velocities from my understanding are better expressed in the frequency domain as omega*(u,v) where solid.omega is the 2*pi*solid.freq value of COMSOL (check the equations view and the equation TAB)

then you need to correctly set up the rotation and distance to the axis w.r.t. your object, you could use a cylindrical coordinate system under Definitions to help you out

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have an object vibrating and rotating, if I catch you right, now COMSOL uses omega for the frequency domain variable, so a) you should rather use another name, then b) "ut, vt" velocities from my understanding are better expressed in the frequency domain as omega*(u,v) where solid.omega is the 2*pi*solid.freq value of COMSOL (check the equations view and the equation TAB) then you need to correctly set up the rotation and distance to the axis w.r.t. your object, you could use a cylindrical coordinate system under Definitions to help you out -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.