Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature distribution in 22kV cables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm totally new to COMSOL, and I'm wondering if anyone will be able to help me in my project

I've made a 2D model of a construction of concrete, PVC pipes,and the cables inside the pipes.

My primary goal is to find the heat distribution in and around the cables with respect to current and time. Firstly I thought it would be best to do a stationary simulation, and then do a time dependent afterwards if i'ts possible.

The thing is that we have temperature measurements on the outer layer of the cables, in the air and in the earth around the construction. We also have current measurements on each phase of the cable sets. Is it possible to make a joule heating model with current going perpendicular to the plane of the model?

My parameters and values so far is not necessary real values, I had to see if the simulation would work in this way.

It would be most satisfactory to just do adjustements in current ratings to see the heat distribution,and for how long we could charge the cables above recommended values before the temperature reaches the maximum of what the insulation will tolerate.

All help will be most appriciated

JAn

1 Reply Last Post Mar 26, 2013, 9:29 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2013, 9:29 a.m. EDT
Forgot to change some parameters to new names, the model should work now
Forgot to change some parameters to new names, the model should work now

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.