Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

out of memory during LU factorization ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I use comsol multiphysics 4.2 to solve a model on my computer(with 2GB RAM), I get the error "out of memory during LU factorization", but when I put the same model into another computer(the same cpu, but only 1.4GB RAM), there is no error message,

5 Replies Last Post Jun 6, 2013, 3:37 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 14, 2013, 8:41 a.m. EDT
Hi

there are many things happening on a computer, perhaps if you reopen a fresh Comsol session it would also run on yours, now, by default on a PC the OS tend to use easily 50-70% of the RAM for its own, all depends what and how it is configured, and Windows OS is not particularly good in swapping and multitasking.

Finally on some of the PC's the 2Gb of RAM is split between the graphics card and the CPU, => less for the CPU

So there can be many things, not even linked to COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are many things happening on a computer, perhaps if you reopen a fresh Comsol session it would also run on yours, now, by default on a PC the OS tend to use easily 50-70% of the RAM for its own, all depends what and how it is configured, and Windows OS is not particularly good in swapping and multitasking. Finally on some of the PC's the 2Gb of RAM is split between the graphics card and the CPU, => less for the CPU So there can be many things, not even linked to COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 14, 2013, 10:50 a.m. EDT
This problem is still not resolved, thank you all the same.
This problem is still not resolved, thank you all the same.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 5, 2013, 4:29 p.m. EDT
I am using a pc with Intel core i7, 8 GB and 64 bit operating system and still have the same problem !!
any suggestions ?
I am using a pc with Intel core i7, 8 GB and 64 bit operating system and still have the same problem !! any suggestions ?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2013, 1:24 a.m. EDT
try to mesh your model coarser..
try to mesh your model coarser..

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2013, 3:37 a.m. EDT
I used the "extremely coarse mesh" option ! and it gave this error !!!
I used the "extremely coarse mesh" option ! and it gave this error !!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.