Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Voltage Induced in a Coil by Moving Magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to learn how to use moving mesh. And I created a project same as "Voltage Induced in a Coil by Moving Magnet", which can be found in Comsol website. But the problem is: when I run it, an error always occurs like: Nonlinear solver didn't converge...

I am very sure I follow every instruction from the Documentation. So, does anyone get this model run?
And I have a question about the "study settings" described in the documentation, in which it is stated that: Step 1: Stationary; Step 2: Time dependent...' Could anybody show me more detail about this part? Thank you!

My comsol version: 4.3

6 Replies Last Post Nov 10, 2014, 7:51 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2013, 9:32 p.m. EDT
First, as I know, this is a model used in COMSOL 4.3a, not 4.3. So, it may be your code version is not the latest.
Seconly, this model can be solved correctly when I follow the instruction document. I also faced the "Nonlinear solver didn't converge." problem once, but in the end I find that is because I forget chose one boundary.
Thirdly, the "study settings" is also mentioned in the document: the paragraph above "Step 2; Time Dependent", and it said "Time Dependent study automatically takes the initial values for the vector potential from the stationary solution"
Good luck!
First, as I know, this is a model used in COMSOL 4.3a, not 4.3. So, it may be your code version is not the latest. Seconly, this model can be solved correctly when I follow the instruction document. I also faced the "Nonlinear solver didn't converge." problem once, but in the end I find that is because I forget chose one boundary. Thirdly, the "study settings" is also mentioned in the document: the paragraph above "Step 2; Time Dependent", and it said "Time Dependent study automatically takes the initial values for the vector potential from the stationary solution" Good luck!

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2013, 5:09 p.m. EDT
Thank you! Yes, I am using comsol 4.3 which might be different from 4,3a.

So, I have two questions: 1.when you come to "STUDY" setting: for step1, you put a "X" to moving mesh, but do you need to put a "check" for Magnetic fields? 2. Could you please tell me the settings for step 2? i.e. are both of the two parts be checked or one "X" and one check?

Thanks a lot!
Thank you! Yes, I am using comsol 4.3 which might be different from 4,3a. So, I have two questions: 1.when you come to "STUDY" setting: for step1, you put a "X" to moving mesh, but do you need to put a "check" for Magnetic fields? 2. Could you please tell me the settings for step 2? i.e. are both of the two parts be checked or one "X" and one check? Thanks a lot!

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2013, 4:02 a.m. EDT
In step one, you add a “×” to "moving mesh",and leave the "magnetic fields" no changed, ie “√”.
The settings for step2 is both two parts be checked, ie “√”.
Good luck!
In step one, you add a “×” to "moving mesh",and leave the "magnetic fields" no changed, ie “√”. The settings for step2 is both two parts be checked, ie “√”. Good luck!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 2, 2013, 3:25 p.m. EDT
I know it is a little late~ But big Thanks!
I know it is a little late~ But big Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 4, 2013, 5:46 a.m. EDT

You are welcome, and wish we may have chance to exchange ideas in the future!
You may contact with the email: thomas_nust@sina.com
You are welcome, and wish we may have chance to exchange ideas in the future! You may contact with the email: thomas_nust@sina.com

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 10, 2014, 7:51 a.m. EST
sir, i am following the same steps. i am getting no error but the problem is that there is no induced voltage. can you tell me where i am wrong?
sir, i am following the same steps. i am getting no error but the problem is that there is no induced voltage. can you tell me where i am wrong?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.