Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

define the propagation constant and angle of incidence and refraction at different interface in comsol 4.3a version

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear friends,

define the propagation vectors in a multilayer system.

i have attached the simulation detail in the attachment . somebody help me out to solve this problem

Aim: To find out the reflectance and transmittance , nano disc on dispersive layer.
I have define all the parameters as earlier support.
The result what i am getting is not upto my sanctification. i dont know where i made the mistake while doing the simulation.

I have a series of question regarding my simulation.
1. Variable part : In my domain i have used silicon which is a dispersive material, for that i have used the interpolation function and upload the txt file. it was work nice, my question is how will check whether my data is taking at time of simulation or not.
2. Regarding the define the wave vector and propagation constant in the variable domain.
here i have used a multilayer system, at each interface the wave vector and angle of incidence get changed , my question is i need to define the propagation constant at each interface as i have defined the port at the extreme interface of my domain.
as i know for a multilayer system obey snell law, so
n_air*sin(theta1)=n_2*sin(theta2)=n_3*sin(theta3)
now sin(theta3)=asin(sin(theta1*(n_air/re(n_2)))
after that i have defined as respective propagation vectors
k1x=emw.k0*sin(theta1), kaz=emwk0*cos(theta1) this is defined at the excitation port 1
exciation field
Ey= exp(-i*k1x*x)[V/m], propagation constant= abs(k1z)
Similarly in other port 2
k4x=emw.k0*sin(theta3)*re(n_2), k4z= emw.k0*cos(theta3)*re(n_2)
Ey= exp(-i*k4x*x)[V/m], propagation consatnt= abs(k4z)
PBC and PEC Bounadry condtion chosen at necessary interface.
in between i have not defined any thing , could you suggest me my parameter setting is wright or wrong.
For meshing
i have chosen gold dsin mesh size 20nm maximum 10nm minimum.
for Silica 20nm max ans 10nm min.
silicon 40nm max mesh and 10nm min.
when i go for smaller mesh size that 5nm -10nm , my computer has been hanged. (computer memory 8gb ram, 500gb hard dsic, 64bit window7 operating system
also choose the direct solver in the default setting

after that i have defined all parameter perfectly, i have mesh it also as you suggest earlier.
i have simulate it, its run without sending any message, but the result i got not satisfactory.
i have attaching the result which 50nm inter spacing , i also try for small step size in parameter sweep , the result is shown like oscillatory up and down. the reflectance(R) and transmittance(T) absorption(A) vs wavelength as shown below

akash behera

0 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2013, 7:04 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello AKASH

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.