Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulation of rectangulaire straight conductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

i want to simulate a straight conductor wire to find the magnetic field B and the inductance of the wire so i used the MEF in ACDC module so i defined the begining of the wire to terminal (0.1 A) and the end by the ground, but i get this message.

Failed to find a solution.
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution has not converged.

(the file is attached) thank you for ur help.

7 Replies Last Post Apr 30, 2013, 7:42 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2013, 5:20 a.m. EDT
Hi
First of all you should use MF and not MEF for a simple B field from a current (MEF is far more complex and solves for the voltage)

Then also very important the B field is looping around in the "air or vacuum surrounding the wire, but you have not defined any volume with any mesh all around the wire.

Check the model library, you MUST use an air or vacuum region (block or large cylinder all around the wire so that the B field can develop in the numerical solution proposed

You example is far simpler to start with in 2D, just draw two circles, one for the wire and one much larger for the air, once you master the 2D you can try a 3D model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi First of all you should use MF and not MEF for a simple B field from a current (MEF is far more complex and solves for the voltage) Then also very important the B field is looping around in the "air or vacuum surrounding the wire, but you have not defined any volume with any mesh all around the wire. Check the model library, you MUST use an air or vacuum region (block or large cylinder all around the wire so that the B field can develop in the numerical solution proposed You example is far simpler to start with in 2D, just draw two circles, one for the wire and one much larger for the air, once you master the 2D you can try a 3D model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2013, 5:28 a.m. EDT
thank you ivar it's clear ;))))
thank you ivar it's clear ;))))

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2013, 6:22 a.m. EDT
Hi ivar,

I think that's ok now what do you think....the model is attached

Cheers
Hi ivar, I think that's ok now what do you think....the model is attached Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2013, 7:05 a.m. EDT
Hi

That's much better ;)

but what you notice now is that with your sharp edges, you have singularities along the edges. For that its better to draw the section, fillet the corners, and extrude along the length

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi That's much better ;) but what you notice now is that with your sharp edges, you have singularities along the edges. For that its better to draw the section, fillet the corners, and extrude along the length -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2013, 7:37 a.m. EDT
Ok thank you ivar ;)))
Ok thank you ivar ;)))

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 30, 2013, 6:30 a.m. EDT
Hi ivar,

now i simulate a 4 straight have the same length to find the magnetic field for the 3 component i found a result but i'm worry about the result because i'm not sure for the density of current..... actually i want a 1mA value of current but i'm not sure how i can define the density to get this value of current, i now I=j*dS but i define it at z component only or also for the 3 component,

Hi ivar, now i simulate a 4 straight have the same length to find the magnetic field for the 3 component i found a result but i'm worry about the result because i'm not sure for the density of current..... actually i want a 1mA value of current but i'm not sure how i can define the density to get this value of current, i now I=j*dS but i define it at z component only or also for the 3 component, (the file is attached) thank you for ur help.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 30, 2013, 7:42 a.m. EDT
Hi ivar,

now i simulate a 4 straight have the same length to find the magnetic field for the 3 component i found a result but i'm worry because i'm not sure for the density of current..... actually i want a 1mA value of current but i'm not sure how i can define the density to get this value of current, i know I=j*dS but i define it at z component only.

Hi ivar, now i simulate a 4 straight have the same length to find the magnetic field for the 3 component i found a result but i'm worry because i'm not sure for the density of current..... actually i want a 1mA value of current but i'm not sure how i can define the density to get this value of current, i know I=j*dS but i define it at z component only. (the file is attached) thank you for ur help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.