Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Store data at certain time intervals

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How do I set up my model so the data are not stored at every time step, but at certain intervals. That way I don't end up with huge file, and my plot files for exporting are small as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kaushik

3 Replies Last Post May 3, 2013, 11:03 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2013, 2:34 p.m. EDT
Hi

give coarser time steps, and rely on COMSOL to make the smaller teps when needed, normally COMSOL stores only when it flags an "out" in the log, that is when it crosses one of the user specified time steps, but COMSOL often require more and shorter time steps to get the convergence to work out, these are calculated but NOT stored on file by default (I believe there is an option to anyhow, but I cannot rememeber I have ever used it ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi give coarser time steps, and rely on COMSOL to make the smaller teps when needed, normally COMSOL stores only when it flags an "out" in the log, that is when it crosses one of the user specified time steps, but COMSOL often require more and shorter time steps to get the convergence to work out, these are calculated but NOT stored on file by default (I believe there is an option to anyhow, but I cannot rememeber I have ever used it ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2013, 9:13 a.m. EDT
Ivar,

Thanks for the response. By time steps, you mean the section under Study Settings, within the red oval in the attached picture?

Kaushik
Ivar, Thanks for the response. By time steps, you mean the section under Study Settings, within the red oval in the attached picture? Kaushik

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2013, 11:03 a.m. EDT
Hi
Indeed that is the entry for the stored time steps (by default), note that COMSOL might not actually calculate all or even any, but will calculate points around and interpolate (default settings) if you want ti to follow strictly use strict or intermittent instead of Free stepping scheme (far down in the time stepping tab, of the solver sub-node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed that is the entry for the stored time steps (by default), note that COMSOL might not actually calculate all or even any, but will calculate points around and interpolate (default settings) if you want ti to follow strictly use strict or intermittent instead of Free stepping scheme (far down in the time stepping tab, of the solver sub-node -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.