Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems coupling mass transfer physics to two phase laminar flow (phase field)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am in the process of coupling Transport of Diluted Species to Two Phase Laminar Flow (Phase Field) and having some difficulty. I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out.

The scenario is a water droplet resting on a surface and it is being cooled by air. I hope to simulate the evaporation of water into the air. I expect to see deformation of the water droplet (mass is tracked by the Phase Field, correct?) and a water concentration profile as it evaporates.

The problem I am having is that the volume fraction of the water goes to zero very early on in the simulation. This appears to be a numerical error to me, but I cannot locate what is causing it. I’ve tried increasing the mesh density around the droplet, which did help control the volume fraction marginally but I still feel that the physical results aren’t making sense. Shouldn’t the plot showing the water concentration profile show a reduction in volume as well?

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Best regards,
Alex

P.S. Model is attached, but without solutions because the output file size was too big.

2 Replies Last Post Sep 18, 2016, 5:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexander Sinkevich

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 9, 2015, 4:08 a.m. EST
Hi,
have you got the solution for your problem.
i am really stuck in a evaporation model. culd you please help me.
thanks in advance
Hi, have you got the solution for your problem. i am really stuck in a evaporation model. culd you please help me. thanks in advance

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 18, 2016, 5:26 a.m. EDT

Dear COMSOL experts users,

I am a biginner with COMSO and I am in the process of coupling Transport of Diluted Species to Laminar bubbly flow and having some difficulty. I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out.

Best regards
Dear COMSOL experts users, I am a biginner with COMSO and I am in the process of coupling Transport of Diluted Species to Laminar bubbly flow and having some difficulty. I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out. Best regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.