Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How To Create Cross Section In 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have been simulating Mie scattering in 3D by using symmetry so that only 1/4 of my model has to be solved for. The problem I have is that I would like to plot the solutions of the full model with 1/4 of it cut out creating a cross section (See attached image for an example). I can easily get the rest of the model by performing two mirror operations, but I have not found out how to cut out the section or combine data sets in the right way. What is the best way to do this? Am I missing something simple?

Thank you,

Curtis Doiron

2 Replies Last Post Jul 15, 2013, 10:07 a.m. EDT
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 9, 2013, 3:01 p.m. EDT
Curtis-

One thing you could do is Mirror the 1/4 Solution data set about 1 plane (resulting in a1/2 model data set). Then, instead of mirroring the 1/2 data set, mirror the original 1/4 solution again, but this time about a 2nd orthogonal plane. Then, you will have 2 data sets that when plotted as 2 separate surface plots and overlaid (do this by putting in the same plot group), you should have the 3/4 model you are looking for.

Regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Curtis- One thing you could do is Mirror the 1/4 Solution data set about 1 plane (resulting in a1/2 model data set). Then, instead of mirroring the 1/2 data set, mirror the original 1/4 solution again, but this time about a 2nd orthogonal plane. Then, you will have 2 data sets that when plotted as 2 separate surface plots and overlaid (do this by putting in the same plot group), you should have the 3/4 model you are looking for. Regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 15, 2013, 10:07 a.m. EDT
Josh,

Thank you for the tip, it worked great. I can't believe I didn't think of having two plots in the same volume plot.

Thanks,

Curtis
Josh, Thank you for the tip, it worked great. I can't believe I didn't think of having two plots in the same volume plot. Thanks, Curtis

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.