Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Anisotropic Diffusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a 2D geometry in which I want to define anisotropic diffusion. When I select this option in the menu and solve the problem I get weird results. When I check again the options, 'anisotropic diffusion' has been automatically changed to 'Diagonal' and I think this is what is causing the problem.

Any suggestion is much appreciated

2 Replies Last Post Jul 9, 2013, 9:22 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 9, 2013, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Dear Borja,

I have seen this before, it does not cause problems. If you select anisotropic diffusion but provide constants that are only diagonal COMSOL automatically does that switch. Similarly if you put off-diagonal terms symmetrically then COMSOL switches to symmetric.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Borja, I have seen this before, it does not cause problems. If you select anisotropic diffusion but provide constants that are only diagonal COMSOL automatically does that switch. Similarly if you put off-diagonal terms symmetrically then COMSOL switches to symmetric. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 9, 2013, 9:22 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the answer.

You are right, that seems to work fine when I solve the diffusion equation in my particle with a constant concentration boundary condition. However, when I couple this, via flux term, with a convection diffusion equation to solve for the macroscopic concentration in a packed bed, the concentration profile does not make sense.

Borja
Thanks for the answer. You are right, that seems to work fine when I solve the diffusion equation in my particle with a constant concentration boundary condition. However, when I couple this, via flux term, with a convection diffusion equation to solve for the macroscopic concentration in a packed bed, the concentration profile does not make sense. Borja

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.