Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convection in a domestic space (beginner)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The problem I am trying to model is that of a radiator heating a room.
I am intending to use the model to see how long it takes the room to warm up so that there is an even
temperature distribution. Once this is found, a fan will be placed somewhere in the room to set up a forced convection cycle. Then I want to be able to find out if this can heat up the centre of the room quicker.

I am new to Comsol and - only having some knowledge of Ansys for vibration problems - I am a little unsure on how to go about fixing the problem.

Currently I have been following some of the tutorials from comsol help or the model gallery, but I cannot find a solution that converges when I try to adapt them to my model.

I was wondering how best to set up the heat transfer boundary conditions? I know some heat has to be lost in the model but i am unsure how to set this up realistically.

When the solver stops, the (junk) solution that was given showed the convection current in the velocity field as i expected it, but the heat does not seem to be transferring with the fluid flow.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

James

1 Reply Last Post Mar 16, 2010, 12:40 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 16, 2010, 12:40 p.m. EDT
I thought I would attach a file along with the problem, essentially I have tried to adapt the free convection example in the comsol documentation.

The solution does not converge, I read that the navier stokes may need a good inital guess in order to help it converge. I was wondering what is the best strategy to do this as i dont know what the flow set up will be!

thanks very much

James
I thought I would attach a file along with the problem, essentially I have tried to adapt the free convection example in the comsol documentation. The solution does not converge, I read that the navier stokes may need a good inital guess in order to help it converge. I was wondering what is the best strategy to do this as i dont know what the flow set up will be! thanks very much James

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.