Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

impact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

how can i solve a structural mechanics problem where there is a contact between to structures with certain velocity?

4 Replies Last Post Oct 7, 2013, 1:49 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 1, 2013, 7:27 p.m. EDT
You can define contact between the two bodies and prescribe the velocities. I find that dynamic contact works better with a penalty contact algorithm. You can read other discussions in the Forum on how to setup penalty contact in COMSOL (it’s pretty straightforward).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You can define contact between the two bodies and prescribe the velocities. I find that dynamic contact works better with a penalty contact algorithm. You can read other discussions in the Forum on how to setup penalty contact in COMSOL (it’s pretty straightforward). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 4, 2013, 2:31 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your reply:)
I want to know which governing equations are used in non linear structural mechanics module specially while solving contact problem and how PDE is generated and solved? How steps varies if we solve the same problem using different solvers?.
Can I get any good materials to understand clearly these concepts please.
Thank you for your reply:) I want to know which governing equations are used in non linear structural mechanics module specially while solving contact problem and how PDE is generated and solved? How steps varies if we solve the same problem using different solvers?. Can I get any good materials to understand clearly these concepts please.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 4, 2013, 8:10 a.m. EDT
There is a good but short description in the documentation of the Structural Mechanics Module under the heading “Theory for the Structural Mechanics User Interface”. To understand in more depth you should get an FEA textbook.
There is a good but short description in the documentation of the Structural Mechanics Module under the heading “Theory for the Structural Mechanics User Interface”. To understand in more depth you should get an FEA textbook.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 1:49 a.m. EDT
Thanks a lot sir.
Thanks a lot sir.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.