Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic Band Structure of Metamaterials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I have been trying to find the band structure of an acoustic metamaterial. I have been attempting to adapt the "Bandgap analysis of Photonic Crystal" tutorial given for COMSOL 3.5a to 4.3. I am attaching the tutorial here. I was having some difficulties in implementing the same in 4.3.

1. The model says "Open the Solver Parameters dialog box from the Solve menu. Choose Harmonic propagation from the Analysis list." . However, I have not been able to find 'Harmonic Propogation' or an Analysis List in 4.3. How do I implement this?

2. The model says- "1From the Physics menu, choose Scalar Variables.
2In the dialog box that appears, enter the value freq for the nu_rfwe variable. Click OK.
3Click the Solve button on the Main toolbar. COMSOL Multiphysics uses the latest eigenvalue to calculate the initial guess for the ODE variable freq."

There is no 'Scalar Variables' options under the physics menu in 4.3 . Also, there is no 'nu_rfwe' variable. How do I get around this?

I would also appreciate any help in adapting the same for an acoustic metamaterial.

15 Replies Last Post Nov 3, 2014, 7:17 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 4, 2013, 8:36 a.m. EDT
Hi Manu,

good to see that you are working on Acoustic metamaterial and trying to reproduce the photonic band structure tutorial. Some time back, I had been tried to reproduce the photonic band gap tutorial in comsol 4.3 but unfortunately I could not succeeded to do that. what have I been concluded that the model builder in COMSOL 4.3 is very different from the COMSOL 3.5a. The problems which you are facing is most probably due to model builder difference.
Hi Manu, good to see that you are working on Acoustic metamaterial and trying to reproduce the photonic band structure tutorial. Some time back, I had been tried to reproduce the photonic band gap tutorial in comsol 4.3 but unfortunately I could not succeeded to do that. what have I been concluded that the model builder in COMSOL 4.3 is very different from the COMSOL 3.5a. The problems which you are facing is most probably due to model builder difference.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 5, 2013, 12:28 p.m. EDT
Hello
Check this model it was done in pressure acoustic.
I hope it helps you.
Hello Check this model it was done in pressure acoustic. I hope it helps you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2013, 1:56 a.m. EDT
hello friend,

Thank you for your reply
I am trying to open this file in COMSOL 4.3 but it is showing that the file has created in later version.
plz, Can you tell me in which version of COMSOL you have been created this file.

cheers,
SANTOSH
hello friend, Thank you for your reply I am trying to open this file in COMSOL 4.3 but it is showing that the file has created in later version. plz, Can you tell me in which version of COMSOL you have been created this file. cheers, SANTOSH

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2013, 3:39 a.m. EDT
It is in 4.3b. You should upgrade your comsol.
It is in 4.3b. You should upgrade your comsol.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2013, 3:51 p.m. EDT
Dear Manu,

Things are done a little differently between v3.5 and 4.x. You can still calculate bandgaps but you have to recreate the model. The Floquet boundary condition for solids/structures was added I believe in v4.3 which simplifies the definition of the periodic boundary. Here is the description of a bandgap example I created using v4.2: www.veryst.com/project/Band-Gap-Phononic-Structure .

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Manu, Things are done a little differently between v3.5 and 4.x. You can still calculate bandgaps but you have to recreate the model. The Floquet boundary condition for solids/structures was added I believe in v4.3 which simplifies the definition of the periodic boundary. Here is the description of a bandgap example I created using v4.2: http://www.veryst.com/project/Band-Gap-Phononic-Structure . Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2013, 6:30 a.m. EDT
Dear Hussein,

Thank you for the reply, I am trying to access your model, but am unable to do so as it was made in 4.3b, and I am using 4.3. Can you attach the complete report of the model for my reference? It would be a great help!

Regards,
Manu Sahay
Dear Hussein, Thank you for the reply, I am trying to access your model, but am unable to do so as it was made in 4.3b, and I am using 4.3. Can you attach the complete report of the model for my reference? It would be a great help! Regards, Manu Sahay

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2013, 6:48 a.m. EDT
Dear Nagi,

I had gone through the page that you have mentioned when I was looking through the forums ( I had found the link in another discussion thread). I have been trying to recreate the model, but I haven't been able to do it successfully. As I understand, an eigenfrequency corresponds to a particular band. I have done a parametric sweep with k, varying k from 0 to 2pi/a in the symmetry direction, and I have done a point evaluation to extract the 'freq' . For plotting the band structure, what should I plot on the Y axis? Should it be the lambda value, or the frequency value? And how many eigenfrequencies should I solve for?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Manu
Dear Nagi, I had gone through the page that you have mentioned when I was looking through the forums ( I had found the link in another discussion thread). I have been trying to recreate the model, but I haven't been able to do it successfully. As I understand, an eigenfrequency corresponds to a particular band. I have done a parametric sweep with k, varying k from 0 to 2pi/a in the symmetry direction, and I have done a point evaluation to extract the 'freq' . For plotting the band structure, what should I plot on the Y axis? Should it be the lambda value, or the frequency value? And how many eigenfrequencies should I solve for? Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards, Manu

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2013, 7:04 a.m. EDT
Dear Hussein,

thanks for your rply
Please can you attach the report file of the "acoustic_dispersion(1).mph" .

regards
santosh
Dear Hussein, thanks for your rply Please can you attach the report file of the "acoustic_dispersion(1).mph" . regards santosh

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 20, 2013, 8:01 a.m. EDT
Here is the report file.
Here is the report file.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 20, 2013, 8:03 a.m. EDT
I sent it.
I sent it.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 23, 2013, 3:26 a.m. EDT
Dear Hussein,

Thanks for your rply
I was looking and trying to understand the result file which you have been send but I did not find the terms for parametric sweep, global and scalar variable and eigenfrequency terms and how did you get the eigen fequency values.

Plz, If you could emphasis all the above point then it would be great help for us.

best regards
santosh
Dear Hussein, Thanks for your rply I was looking and trying to understand the result file which you have been send but I did not find the terms for parametric sweep, global and scalar variable and eigenfrequency terms and how did you get the eigen fequency values. Plz, If you could emphasis all the above point then it would be great help for us. best regards santosh

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2014, 6:01 a.m. EDT
Dear Hussein

I have been finally able to access your file ( acoustic_dispersion.mph). I am trying to adapt the same for my case. I had a few queries about your file-

1. Why have you chosen to solve for 6 eigenfrequencies? As I understand, a given eigenfrequency corresponds to a particular band. Is this understanding correct? So, for getting the band structure, we solve in the irreducible brillouin zone. If we choose to solve for 6 bands, we will get 6 bands, right? So how can we know that we have got all the correct bands.

2. For band structure, we plot frequency vs k, in a 1-D plot (global) . In your case, you have provided the X-axis data as 'lambda' and the parameter as 'Solution number' . For getting k, I was thinking that the X-axis data source would be 'Outer Solutions' and the Parameter would be 'Parameter Value' . Is this thinking correct?

3. The value of kx should be varied from 0 to 2pi/a, where 'a' is the dimension of the unit cell, right? While varying 'kx' , we set floquet periodicity condition for the boundaries in the X direction, and set the Y-direction boundaries as Sound-hard boundaries. So, for varying 'ky', should we set the periodic condition in Y direction, and sound hard in X direction? And while varying both kx and ky ( for the TX case) should we set all 4 boundaries of the square unit cell as periodic?

4. How de we know what is the correct frequency to set in the 'search for eigenfrequencies around' field?

I know that for most of you these would be very basic queries. I have been trying to get the correct band structure for a long time without much success. I would be extremely indebted if you could help me out with the same.

Regards,
Manu Sahay
Dear Hussein I have been finally able to access your file ( acoustic_dispersion.mph). I am trying to adapt the same for my case. I had a few queries about your file- 1. Why have you chosen to solve for 6 eigenfrequencies? As I understand, a given eigenfrequency corresponds to a particular band. Is this understanding correct? So, for getting the band structure, we solve in the irreducible brillouin zone. If we choose to solve for 6 bands, we will get 6 bands, right? So how can we know that we have got all the correct bands. 2. For band structure, we plot frequency vs k, in a 1-D plot (global) . In your case, you have provided the X-axis data as 'lambda' and the parameter as 'Solution number' . For getting k, I was thinking that the X-axis data source would be 'Outer Solutions' and the Parameter would be 'Parameter Value' . Is this thinking correct? 3. The value of kx should be varied from 0 to 2pi/a, where 'a' is the dimension of the unit cell, right? While varying 'kx' , we set floquet periodicity condition for the boundaries in the X direction, and set the Y-direction boundaries as Sound-hard boundaries. So, for varying 'ky', should we set the periodic condition in Y direction, and sound hard in X direction? And while varying both kx and ky ( for the TX case) should we set all 4 boundaries of the square unit cell as periodic? 4. How de we know what is the correct frequency to set in the 'search for eigenfrequencies around' field? I know that for most of you these would be very basic queries. I have been trying to get the correct band structure for a long time without much success. I would be extremely indebted if you could help me out with the same. Regards, Manu Sahay

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2014, 3:25 a.m. EDT
structure
structure

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2014, 7:11 a.m. EDT

structure

?
[QUOTE] structure [/QUOTE] ?

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 3, 2014, 7:17 p.m. EST
how can i do this (www.veryst.com/project/Band-Gap-Phononic-Structure )? can you give me this model !thank you very much
how can i do this (www.veryst.com/project/Band-Gap-Phononic-Structure )? can you give me this model !thank you very much

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.