Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpolating 3-D data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I am trying to use some 3-D data i.e. temperature profile across and x and y surface. The data is stored in and excel file.
I want to interpolate the data to form a function as T = f(x,y) and then use that function in the model.
I have seen COMSOL can easily interpolate 2-D data, but not sure how to deal with this 3-D data.

Any suggestions on how to do this in COMSOL ?

3 Replies Last Post Sep 12, 2013, 9:43 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 11, 2013, 8:46 p.m. EDT
I think you need the z coordinate's data. Because the geometry is 3D, the independents are x, y, z basically in COMSOL Multiphysics. I mean the data has 4 arguments - x, y, z, f(x,y,z).
I think you need the z coordinate's data. Because the geometry is 3D, the independents are x, y, z basically in COMSOL Multiphysics. I mean the data has 4 arguments - x, y, z, f(x,y,z).

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 12, 2013, 8:19 a.m. EDT
Hi Tae

the geometry is actually 2-D i.e. x and y
and the dependent variable is Temperature

so I want to plot Temp = f(x,y) and interpolate it as a function.
Hi Tae the geometry is actually 2-D i.e. x and y and the dependent variable is Temperature so I want to plot Temp = f(x,y) and interpolate it as a function.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 12, 2013, 9:43 a.m. EDT
Hi,

you can use an interpolation function. In order to get a 2D interpolation with two independent variables you have to choose file as data source and enter 2 into 'number of arguments'. The COMSOL help provides you with the details.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Hi, you can use an interpolation function. In order to get a 2D interpolation with two independent variables you have to choose file as data source and enter 2 into 'number of arguments'. The COMSOL help provides you with the details. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.