Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can anyone help me with Transport of Diluted Species?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi colleagues,
I am facing the problem with my project, and I would greatly appreciate if you can help me.
In short, I want to plot concentration distribution in a microfluidic channel, and for that purpose
I use the following physics;
- electric current to solve Laplace equation. Besides an inlet and outlet where the potential is applied, all walls are insulating.
- creeping flow (spf) to solve Navier-Stoke's equation
- transport of diluted species (chds) in which the flux equation R= ∂c/∂t + del.(-Ddelc)+ delc.u is solved to get the concentration distribution. (c=concentration, u=velocity)

So here is the issue. In our case, the total velocity (u) is a sum of electroosmotic velocity taken from the creeping flow and dielectrophoretic velocity which we have to manually type in. Our problem is that comsol stops finding the solution giving out "maximum number of iteration reached" only when the total velocity <0.
We suspected that it happens because it is not a steady state problem anymore (∂c/∂t is non-zero) so moved to the time-dependent solver, however it still does not solve and give me the same error message.
I know the problem comes from transport of diluted species but do not know what I can do to solve the problem. Maybe use different boundary conditions?

I will appreciate greatly if you can help me. My model is attached.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 20, 2013, 6:46 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Asuka Nakano

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.